Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD Module equality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azaruk

I have been given a couple of LCD modules to play with. I know nothing about these things but am keen to play and learn.

They are made by POWERTIP, part number PC1602F

My question:-

Are modules of this type interchangeable? In other words if I have a module from manufacturer A, will it work with code written for manafacturer B's code, assuming the basic specs - number of characters, lines, etc are the same?

Forgive me if this is a seriously dumb question!

If they are Hitachi compatible LCD text modules, then they are interchangeable with other manufacturers - it's really a quite successful standard, and it's rare to find a module which doesn't comply.

I've used the Powertip 1602(G) lcd for a number of projects.
No problems, it's 44780-based.
Check the pin lay-out on the datasheet!

HarveyH42 said:
Manufacturer website says its a Samsung ks0066u controller. Not sure its the same.

Hi HarveyH42, you're correct. I didn't remember that the 1602 lcd uses the ks0066 controller (and the S6A0069). From my experience and after reading some old posts on other forums, I believe that they're clone of the most famous HT44780. The 1602 lcd's do work with 44780 routines, but now I'm curious to check the datasheets and look for any differences.

I haven't actually gotten my first LCD project going yet, but it's mostly working a lot of overtime lately. The Samsung driver seems much simpler and some good features I didn't see in the 44780 (huge data sheet). The Samsung sheet didn't go into the commands much. I have very little experience, but have been studying this quite a bit lately.

I've found some differences in the initizialization method. I'll have to check this more carefully! EDIT: the timings are different for example. It should be easy to modify the routines for the 44780 and meet the requirements of the ks0066.

Last edited:
Not Hitachi compatible?

Has anyone out there run across a 2x16 LCD display module NOT compatible with the 44780 chip?

Personally, never heard of/seen one.

Last edited by a moderator:
atferrari said:
Has anyone out there run across a 2x16 LCD display module NOT compatible with the 44780 chip?

Personally, never heard of/seen one.

I've never actually had one, but back in the early days of LCD modules there were various different incompatible types - but for years every one I've ever seen has been 44780 compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back