LCD panel having an identity crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigal_scorpio

Hi Guys,

I have just acquired a large LCD panel that came from an unknown item.

It bears the markings S-7176 and KS-110 along with the backwards "R" and U symbol, from the number of ICs on the rear I was hoping it was a graphic model.

Its the ideal size for a project I had in mind for the car, but I can't find anything about its specs even by googling, only a chinese company that has some in stock, but have no sheets for them!

If anyone can tell me what the basic specs are or better still point me to a datasheet I would be very happy, even finding out its original use would be helpful.

I have added some pics, one with an AA battery in shot for scale.

Thanks for looking...............Al

Attachments

• MVC-010F.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 382
  • MVC-011F.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 341
  • MVC-012F.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 357
  • MVC-013F.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 291
It is a graphical lcd, 256x128pixels i would think.

Try searching for the datasheets for the sed1190 and sed1180.

What are the part numbers of the other IC's?

Daniek said:
It is a graphical lcd, 256x128pixels i would think.

Try searching for the datasheets for the sed1190 and sed1180.

What are the part numbers of the other IC's?

Hi Daniek,

The display has 4 chips that are SED1180 and 2 that are SED1190.

Thanks for helping..............Al

By the way, a silly question, what does the inverted R and U symbol means? I have seen it on many devices

Hey.
Don`t know about the inverted R or U.

I was actually wondering what the three SOIC packages were.

I`m not sure if they might have something to do with the interace for the panel. You could try to trace the wires from the 1190s and 1180s to see where they go.

SOICs

Hi,

The SOICs are 9145H - 40H386F, 9115H - 40H390F and C3403G - 9138F312

Hope this means something as I'm stuck totally on the parts pinouts.

Al

Hey Al.

Can`t seem to find any info on those last chips. C3403G - 9138F312 seems to be an opamp, doesn`t help much with figuring out the interface, though they might not have anything to do with it.

I guess you could try to see if the control lines of the SED chips go through the two unknowns...

A different way?

Can anyone suggest a way of finding the VDD and VSS at least on the LCD?

Just a thought I had............Al

By the way, a silly question, what does the inverted R and U symbol means? I have seen it on many devices
It is NOT the trademark of Seiko Epson. It is the mark of Underwriters Laboratories, a major US safety certification organization. See it **broken link removed**. Other marks are described on **broken link removed**.

mneary said:
It is NOT the trademark of Seiko Epson.
You are talking about the logo on the PCB, I was talking about the logo on the chip. I'll admit that the symbol on the PCB looks more like an inverted UR than the one on the chip though.

further escapades

Hi to all,

I have figured out thanks to Kchriste's suggestion, the first 3 pins I think. I believe 1 is VDD, 2 is VSS and 3 is the contrast connection.

I have had some success with turning on the dots but only when I give pin 3 -6 volts, ground has no effect to pin 3, but I have read that some LCDs want a neg voltage to the contrast pin.

The only thing is that the LCD does not seem to want to stay on and the grid dissapears in strange ways after a few seconds.

Anyway I am open to suggestions on what to try next and why I can't get the LCD to be stable.

Thanks again...........Al

hi Al,
As a previous member has said it looks like an old graphics LCD.

Some Graphics LCD's I have used did require a -1v to -3v contrast voltage.

If you have just these 3 pins connected and the remaining 'floating' the display could disappear due to static build up..

Hi Eric,

Evening Eric,

Yes I did just have 3 pins connected.

Would it be ok to ground some other pins, to see if the display would stabilise?

Thanks..........Al

bigal_scorpio said:
Evening Eric,

Yes I did just have 3 pins connected.

Would it be ok to ground some other pins, to see if the display would stabilise?

Thanks..........Al

hi Al,
Not being sure about the remaining pin connections, it would be wise to ground each pin via a 1K0 or so.

You dont want to blow any of the inputs.
Also when the LCD is powered up. measuring the voltage on each pin 'may' give an insight into whats the pins function.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…