Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD vs LED

Status
Not open for further replies.
LCD can LEDs for back or side lighting. The real advantage is when it's locally dimmed.
Best just to rely on reviews for the model you're interested in.

Picture Quality,Longivity,Cost and Power Consumption for TV or PC Monitor on these technologies !

You didn't even mention it was for TV's - which in an electronics forum would be well down the list of guesses.

Quite simple though - BOTH are LCD.

LED lit ones have the advantage of been slightly more power friendly, and are thinner - that's really about it.

CCFL's are proven, reliable and long lasting, LED's are too new to know - but it's unlikely they will last longer than CCFL's (which are rarely the cause of failure anyway).

LED lit ones have the advantage of been slightly more power friendly, and are thinner - that's really about it.

CCFL's are proven, reliable and long lasting, LED's are too new to know - but it's unlikely they will last longer than CCFL's (which are rarely the cause of failure anyway).

not true. LEDs are a tried and true tech that will last longer and is more efficient. about the only fact there is that it is not usually the CCFL that fails: it is normally the inverter.

There are 2 "failure modes" normally for LEDs: the 70% intensity point that is not likely to be noticed and hue that will be tweaked in the interface. most catastrophic failure modes will be in process and not in the LEDs themselves.

not true. LEDs are a tried and true tech that will last longer and is more efficient. about the only fact there is that it is not usually the CCFL that fails: it is normally the inverter.

LED's aren't a 'tried and tested' technology for LCD backlighting - and looking at the failure rate of LED's in car lights it's not a greatly relaible technology.

Inverter failure is more common than lamp failure, but it's by no means the most common failure mode of LCD panels.

LED's aren't a 'tried and tested' technology for LCD backlighting - and looking at the failure rate of LED's in car lights it's not a greatly relaible technology.

Inverter failure is more common than lamp failure, but it's by no means the most common failure mode of LCD panels.

LOL the LEDs are not what is failing unless they are over driven! That would be bad design or assembly and not the LEDs themselves! At the very least the glass will break before the LED lamp will, but i did not think that was the failure mode we were discussing!

Firstly the question itself is misleading. LCD is a screen and LED is a bulb.

An LED as a part itself when driven correctly with proper heat dissipation will last extremely long. Longer than CCFL tube for sure.

LEDs are somewhat tried & tested in backlighting. Try recalling old phones and gadgets with yellow/green backlit? I believe one of the reason it is being used now and not earlier for white backlighting is the efficiency and brightness improved over the years.

Firstly the question itself is misleading. LCD is a screen and LED is a bulb.

An LED as a part itself when driven correctly with proper heat dissipation will last extremely long. Longer than CCFL tube for sure.

LEDs are somewhat tried & tested in backlighting. Try recalling old phones and gadgets with yellow/green backlit? I believe one of the reason it is being used now and not earlier for white backlighting is the efficiency and brightness improved over the years.

They haven't been used in TV before - and it's an entirely different technology - as CCFL's usually outlast the rest of the panel, any imaginary longer life of LED's is pretty pointless anyway.

They haven't been used in TV before - and it's an entirely different technology - as CCFL's usually outlast the rest of the panel, any imaginary longer life of LED's is pretty pointless anyway.

Ah now TV is brought into the discussion. LCD backlighting in phones, copiers and TV works the same way. As i said it is used in TV only recently because of the high brightness available now.

CCFL does fails although not common, but it will become even more rare when LED is used. The chance of backlight failing is much lower.

Anyway, what was the TS asking? LOL

Ah now TV is brought into the discussion.

You need to read all of the thread :D

LCD backlighting in phones, copiers and TV works the same way. As i said it is used in TV only recently because of the high brightness available now.

CCFL does fails although not common, but it will become even more rare when LED is used. The chance of backlight failing is much lower.

You're only assuming it will become even more rare - as it's not been done before, no one knows (and as I said, LED's in car lights show how unreliable they can be). There are also a great many more LED's that could fail, instead of a fairly small number of CCFL's.

But as CCFL failure is pretty rare, even if it's a little more reliable it doesn't give much of an advantage.

You mean LED's driven well below their maximum limits - which LED's in TV screens are unlikely to be, just like car LED's aren't.

no i mean any condition that runs them at over 100C junction temp. I don't give a crap whether it is because they are driven at absolute max with less than an infinite heat sink or if they are driven at half standard with no heat sink. and not cheap Chinese knock off LEDs either, the fact of the matter is that you have no clue what the source of the LEDs are that you are replacing.

we replace LEDs on backlights here too... then we told the supplier to use decent LEDs or lose the business... we have not had a problem since.

no i mean any condition that runs them at over 100C junction temp. I don't give a crap whether it is because they are driven at absolute max with less than an infinite heat sink or if they are driven at half standard with no heat sink. and not cheap Chinese knock off LEDs either, the fact of the matter is that you have no clue what the source of the LEDs are that you are replacing.

Obviously not - but I would hope that Mercedes would buy units fitted with decent ones, and all the ones I've repaired have been Mercedes.

I 'think' they may have been HP/Aligent ones, as the ones I fitted as replacements were, and they looked absolutely identical.

we replace LEDs on backlights here too... then we told the supplier to use decent LEDs or lose the business... we have not had a problem since.

So you're basing your supposed high reliability on the faint hope that the Chinese manufacturers are fitting high quality LED's :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back