LCD wont power on

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaddyJoe

Hi

I am trying to test my 16x2 LCD display before i start connecting it to my MCUtoolstick. The LCD I have is FDCC1602B. http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/F/D/C/C/FDCC1602B.shtml

Its the 3.3v version. All i have connected is Pin 1(Vss)-Gnd, Pin 2(Vdd)-3.2V and I have pin 3(Vo)- Gnd. When i turn on the power it doesnt turn on, there is voltage at the terminals. But its gets warm and thats normally never a good sign.

I was expecting to get square blocks on the screen at full contrast. but nothing is happening. Is the LCD faulty (eventhough its brand new).

Forgive me if this is a very basic question, but I am new to this stuff.

Kind Regards.

hi
The Pin2 and Pin3 voltages should be positive with respect to pin1 ,, 0V

EDIT: do you have Contrast potentiometer output onto pin3 .?? for Contrast adjsutment

Last edited:
Thanks for reply,

No I do not have a potentiometer output on Pin 3. From what I have read on the web is that if its connected to ground the contrast will be set to full. So I should still get something on the screen?

If thats not true then I will try connecting a potentiometer.

Thanks

Connect a potentiometer, often shorting it to maximum gives no visible display.

Adjusting the pot (with nothing other than the power pins connected) should allow you to find a point where you get a single line of black characters, this is all you get if the LCD isn't been initialised. Once initialised - you should have a blank screen, with a cursor (if you set one).

Ok, thank you for your help, I will set it up with a potentiometer and see how i get on, ill keep u posted.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…