Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lead acid battery charging help

Status
Not open for further replies.

roltex_rohit123

I have a sealed lead acid battery of 7.5 Ah from my computer UPS. it shows diminished performance but charges to 13.2 volts. I think the liquid inside it has evaporated. I am thinking of converting it to a flooded lead acid battery and use it for my emergency lantern. can I convert the sealed lead acid battery to a flooded one by pouring battery acid in it? then i could maintain it by adding water from time to time. is there any risk? will the battery work? I have a unrectified source of 17 volts which maintain terminal voltage of 14.6 volts.

This is a sign of chronic overcharging. SLAs do not tolerate overcharge; when the electrolyte is used up, there is no way to replace it. Since the electrolyte is a paste held in a fiberglas mat, there is no way to replenish it.

This is a sign of chronic overcharging. SLAs do not tolerate overcharge; when the electrolyte is used up, there is no way to replace it. Since the electrolyte is a paste held in a fiberglas mat, there is no way to replenish it.

the paste is just silica gel and once it is dried it does get replinished. there are vent holes under the lid of the battery. if you add distilled water through them and then charge the battery for a long time then you replenish much of it. i've tried it 2-3 times but now its too late this time. i think there is a lot of sulfation there inside. so i was asking whether i could convert it to a acid filled battery by adding acid in the cells to fill them. then I would desulfate the battery and reuse for some less power consuming applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back