lecroy 9134a calibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
can anyone give me a rough idea what it would cost to have my lecroy 9134a oscilloscope calibrated? its been out for a little while both on horizontal and vertical, not by that much but enough, i dont want to attempt it myself and mess it up as it a fab scope!

yes it's the 9314A but dosnt look exactly like that! mine looks like a newer model, and the floppy is on top but say's same model number! it's a ace scope and today on his day off i got dad to get it hooked up to labview also noticed that one is 300 MHz mine is 400MHz. wow seems alot of money! i better save up

The point was you were dyslexic. You reversed 2 digits.

Cal was $150.00 USD not including shipping and not in your area.
A real good way to ship is with shipping straps. Thats an expense in itself if you dont have access.

Thinking about it you might be able to sacrifice a couple of web clamps.

The general idea is to get a large box which has plenty of clearance on each side and cut 2 pieces of plywood the size of the box opening.

You can band clamp the scope to the board. Corners may have to be protected.

bits of wood might help.

Another idea is to use t-nuts and 4 pieces of all thread. You could fix a wing nut with another nut or even weld or silver solder, so you have a very long screw. Place padding between the scope and wood and tighten.

Bits of wood can prevent back and forth movement.
Another piece of wood with padding can protect the crt face and knobs.

Another alternative is to use the feet.

Holes in the board in the open area can act as handles.

Write set of removal instructions.

e.g.
lift scope out using holes in plywood.
Remove screws (if any)
Remove all thread(4) using wingnuts.

So something like.
Hole in bottom board for feet.
T-nuts in bottom board.
A protector board for crt & knobs screwed from bottom. Possibly top.
Clearance holes in top
Secured with all thread with padding between case and plywood and some means of unscrewing. Double nuts.

Some thoughts anyway.

first i got to save the money up , i do have trouble with numbers jumbled . i am going to have to live with it being out for a bit!

It is easy to calibrate the vertical and horizontal gain if you have a variable voltage power supply (or make one from an LM317 adjustable voltage regulator) and an accurate DC voltage meter.

LG this is pure madness!

The $150 is for calibration ONLY.
The company in the link is in the USA.
Apart from secure packaging, you will probably be spending another $150 on shipping charges.

What you are proposing is totally un-necessary for hobby equipment.

How far out is the calibration at the moment?
Can you "live with it" for now?

You can calibrate the vertical with a DC source and an accurate voltmeter.
You can calibrate the horizontal with an AC signal source (preferably square wave) and an accurate frequency counter.

JimB

Horizontal calibration could be done with a pic producing an accurate square wave. Even the internal oscillator will get you to 1%, with a crystal it should be spot on.

Edit, calibrating it yourself could be a very informative exercise.

Mike.

Last edited:
i cant afford it anyway, but thinking about it if i can find out how to calibrate it then i probably have the equipment here that is close enough. i have a HP variable psu that is very very accurate and still in calibration, i have a 6 digit bench top multi meter that appears to be spot. for the signals i can use the frequency generator and again its a decent HP one thats definitely accurate as it agrees with my other scope and the frequency analyzer and frequency counter, so my only concern is if i mess it up

Don't do anything you can't undo.
Take Pics, make a drawing or mark the adjustments befor you start.
That way you can put it back if it doesnt work.
Don't try it with out a service manual, or online tutorial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…