LED as sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProFPGA

Banned
Hi ,

I was trying to use LED as a sunlight sensor , i bought those transparent 3mm leds but they only generste about 0.3v , i had some scrap leds i tried one amazingly it genersted 1.5v , how can one tell by looking at those 3mm led which will generate how much voltage ???

It seems, as interesting as the subject of using LED's as light detectors goes, they are not practical for anything more than simple on/off detection. Possibly ultra cheap, low part count, bidirectional communication. I remember an EDN design idea that used a 8-pin micro to both send information, and recieve it via the same LED. But ultimately...unless you're into mass production, the cost of a phototransistor is nothing

Also, you measured the voltage across the LED. Most designs these days actually reverse bias the LED, charging up its tiny capacitance, then measuring how quickly this discharges through a high impedance load (like a CMOS input). In effect, forming an oscillator. The frequency of which is dependent on the amount of light (and wavelength) the LED see's. Absolute measurement of the voltage across the LED, given the tiny currents involved could prove tough, as noise will be a big problem.

Its easy with microcontrollers, as well as FPGA's, since you have bidirectional I/O's, and it can all be done digitally.

Blueteeth

Well my aim was to use it in on/off switch configuration, but i missed this part" applying some voltage in reverse bias" , i on the other hand just used a voltmeter to measure voltage across LED terminals . I did came across an ckt example where LEDs were connected in series ( no voltage applied) to a H-Bridge motor driver . I was hopping to use them as inputs to int to a microcontroler .

Well you can still use it as a 'voltage source' but the current is so low..that is why I mentioned the problem of noise.

I'm sure if you just stuck an LED between 0v and a CMOS input, give it enough light and its bound to go over the logic threshold But how would you change sensitivity? Also the amount of voltage produced depends on the LED's colour, or more specifically, the materials used to make it. Not only that but an LED cannot detect light with a smaller wavelength that it was designed to emit. So, a red LED cannot detect green, a green LED cannot detect blue etc..etc..

You could add an opamp then a comparator (or another opamp as a comparator) to control sensitivity. This should give you a logic 1/0 depend on the light conditions.
https://www.robotroom.com/ReversedLED/PhotodiodeAmplifierSchematic.gif

You can of course do it all digitally, but the algorithm describe above (reverse biasing them timing the discharge) is needed. Also, this way you can set your threshold.

Blueteeth

Some extra links:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
UaShem.com | Motor, light and power control | LED Photo Sensor

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…