Led circuit help

Status
Not open for further replies.

danzer

Hey Folks,
I need your experience to help me with a little modification. I want to add to a silly piece of equipment I have, that everybody likes to break because they can't wait for the unit to reset. What I have is a simple switch that when it is "open" I would like it to turn on a red led. When the switch is closed (unit is reset and ready to be used) the Led turns off. The only catch is that I can not use the switch as part of the circuit for the LED because it also sends a signal back to the equipment and I don't want to load that circuit with extra current. I have 12vdc available and I know how to use resistor values to limit current to the LEDs so that part is easy, I just can't figure out how to use the switch but not use the switch.
Bonus advice..using one of those dual colour LEDs which lights green when circuit is closed, lights red when switch is open.
Many thanks for any advice.
D

Hi. I do understand every single sentence you said. But I can't get the big picture.
My advice is to rewrite your text more systematic. Don't be afraid to use double [enter] to make some space.

First of all: Start with describing your unit in detail and tell us what it's basic purpose is.
After that, you can start to describe what you want to do next.

If you have a schematic, or picture of your unit, that will help. Name and homepage is also a good idea to inform about.

Change the switch to a changeover type switch so that it either turns on the led in the off position or switches your circuit in the on position. Else get a double pole switch.

Okay, sorry, I don't think I made myself very clear. So here's a little more info.
I have a simple switch which is a wire soldered to one post and is just off the second post. When the unit is at it's home position a post on a motor gear pushes the wire to the second post to complete an internal circuit for the equipment. I can solder two wires on these two posts ( because that's all I can do) and hope to use them to signal an LED circuit as a visual indicator for when the unit is at it's home position. So when the unit is at home position the switch is closed and the resistance between the two wires = 0ohms. But when motor moves and moves the motor post off of the wire the switch is open and the resistance betweent the wire is infinity. So I would like to power an LED circuit so when the resistance is high on the two wires the LED will light RED to let people know that it's not at the home position. I don't want to use the two wires as part of the circuit loop and run a current across the wires between the two posts because the switch is part of another circuit I don't want to damage.
Thanks
D

Last edited:
Hello I don't mean to bump, but I was hoping to get some ideas or advice.
The thing is I can't change the switch.

What does the switch turn on? What voltage is switched? Any idea of the current?

The switch is not the usual type of button, toggle switch. This one is made up of a 0.039inch wire soldered to one pin (post) that's mounted on a PCB board, the wire runs from the top of the pin parallel to the board for about 1inch just past the second post which is mounted about an 1inch away. See attached doc file. I can't really do too much but I can attach a wire to each of the posts that I'm hoping I can use to activate an LED circuit. I can get 12vdc from another part of the board, and even if I have to use a bread board to mount the circuit to ,no big deal I got room.
Thanks
D

Attachments

• switch.doc
    11 KB · Views: 117
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…