Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED gas price sign-Need help on how to control the numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpca8631

Hey All, I just bought a gas station LED price sign but there are no ways to control and change the digits. when I plug it in it does light up with the last preser price of $3.83. Each LED panel has 10 wires running to it (assuming 1 for each digit) I dont have any other devises to change it. Whats our thoughts or what would you do? Can i byass the curiuit board plug in and get like a toggle switch or someting that I can use to individually change each number? I can put up some pics later. Thanks in advance

The sign was made by Everbrite Signs. I had contacted them for a controller but it is way too expensive and the correct one is obsolete already so they dont make any. I will put up some pictures i little later so you can see what Im talking about

Are they 7-segment type LEDs? If so the 10 wires may be 7 segment wires plus the multiplex (digit select) wires.

I looked at Everbrite Signs and do not see a LED sign with digits. How many do you have?

My guess would be that the 10 connections are the 7 segments, the decimal point and two power connections - the two in the middle that are joined. Meter between the middle two and the others to work out if the supply connection is ground or the positive line.

Mike.

Im sure there has to be some way to control it besides a control panel. Im looking for some connectors now that will fit in there and figure out a way to bypass it somehow

There is a manual somewhere!
You must plug it into a PC or a "programmer".
There is something missing.
Did you get this off ebay?

Im sure there has to be some way to control it besides a control panel. Im looking for some connectors now that will fit in there and figure out a way to bypass it somehow

I'm pretty sure that connecting a supply to the two middle connections and one of the outer ones will light a segment. The problem is knowing what voltage is required and which way round to connect the supply. Hence the need to meter it when it's on.

Mike.

yeah, my friend and I worked on it this weekend, got some of the segments to light but cant tell because of the memory of the last time it was programmed. I emailed to company to get the schematics of it and they said "I need the controller and the schematics wont do any good" oh well. Ill just keep it because its cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back