LED MOSFET suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rackley

Hello all,

I'm planning on driving an LCD backlight (array of 6 LEDs internally) with a MOSFET and PWM from a PIC microcontroller, so it can be dimmed for day and night operation. PIC sends PWM to the MOSFET's gate, MOSFET rapidly switches either high side or low side to create a dimmer effect controlled by the PIC.

Given the thousands and thousands of MOSFETs out there, can anyone suggest a part number or family (surface mount only please) that might fit this bill, or at least narrow my search?

Thanks,
Ray

First of all, you want a "logic" MOSFET. This means that you can switch it directly from the PIC output (usually with a series resistor).

The simplest circuit will switch the low side of the LEDs and use an N-channel device. This is good, because N-channel is cheaper for a given spec.

For a backlight, I'm guessing that you need 100 mA at 5V. If this is a cost sensitive commercial product, I would start with the Digikey selection guides. Be sure to allow plenty of margin.

For hobby, margin is less important. The 2N7002 is available in a lot of places for 5 cents and up. I have excellent results with DPI4Parts on ebay. You'll pay $5.15 for 100 of them. If your backlight needs more than about 75 mA, use two or in parallel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…