Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Led music response necklace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott S

I am trying to design a necklace that has leds that blink in response to music. I want the necklace to have roughly 20 leds, half blue half white. I want to power it with AA batteries and supply the music with a input from an mp3 player. Would cat5 ethernet cable be able to handle the voltage and current, or would speaker wire be a better bet ? How could i make a circut that i could incorporate into a necklace ? Also would is this going to be a big shock hazard if a little sweat comes incontact with it ?
Opinions and advice appreciated,
-Scott

cat5 cable would be fine, but overkill. The fine wire used for ear buds is adequate.

If you're powered with a couple of AA cells, put the electronics with them and the mp3, not on the necklace. I would recommend putting the LEDs and wiring into a plastic tube for the necklace, with only one hole for the cord to escape.

I was thinking of using cat 5 because i'd need to wire the leds in parallel or parallel series, because of voltage limits. I also have a scrap piece on hand, so it just popped into my mind that unstead of using other wire and having to wrap it, i could use cat5. Then to make it look better i could use heat shrink a different color wrap on top.

Here is a simple Music-to-Colour circuit:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
The LED illuminates when the circuit detects a high amplitude waveform. It can be connected to a "Walkman" or mini radio with earphones. A second channel can be connected to produce a stereo effect. Circuit A consumes less current as the LED is off when no audio is detected. Circuit B pulses the LED brighter when audio is detected.

Last edited:
20,000mcd white LEds are 5 cents each 20mcd orange LEDs are 10 for 2 cents. How many do you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back