Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED Pilot Light Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Niemeyer

I need a little help. I know most will laugh, but little or no electronic background. So here goes.
I am adding handle grip heaters to my motorcycle. They have a High and a Low setting controlled by a SPDT toggle switch (ON-OFF-ON). I want to have an LED light for each level. Problem is, that when I wired them up as per attached drawing they both turn on at both heat settings. How do I get only the appropriate LED to illuminate for it's appropriate heat setting. Thanks in advance to all.
Jim

Attachments

• MC Grip Heater Circuit.jpg
    MC Grip Heater Circuit.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 223
Jim Niemeyer said:
I need a little help. I know most will laugh, but little or no electronic background. So here goes.
I am adding handle grip heaters to my motorcycle. They have a High and a Low setting controlled by a SPDT toggle switch (ON-OFF-ON). I want to have an LED light for each level. Problem is, that when I wired them up as per attached drawing they both turn on at both heat settings. How do I get only the appropriate LED to illuminate for it's appropriate heat setting. Thanks in advance to all.
Jim
You are lighting them through the opposite heater. You need blocking diodes.

D.

Jim Niemeyer said:
Jim

Why not replace the switch with a DPDT and wire the LED's to the second sets of sw. contacts?

That would certainly work, but the SPDT it what came with the heater kit. Sometimes the simplest is the easiest. Thanks for the reply.

**broken link removed**

Hi Jim, you could wire the leds accross the switch. A few milliamps will flow through the unselected heating elements as a consequence but I guess this will be insignificant (I am assuming there is a master on/off switch not shown).
Note that the led that lights will be the one wired to the unselected element and hence the lables look to be the wrong way around at first glance.
Cheers Paul.

Attachments

• heat.jpg
    heat.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back