Lever

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwame

Hi
folks , i want to know if installing a lever of about five inches between a 12DCV actuator and the load will cause a decrease in the torque significantly?The torque is rated at 400 IbS with a stroke length of 10'' from progressiveautomations.The linear actuator is going to be at the top with the load beneath with a pivot in the middle.
I don not want the torque to be decreased. Does anybody have any experience in this regard.

Kwame

Last edited:
From your description I'm not sure what the change may be.

If the lever arm moves the load more that the distance the actuator moves than the force is reduced by the relative difference. For example, if the load moves twice as far as the actuator, then the force is reduced by 1/2. If they move the same distance, then the force is unchanged (except for any reduction from friction).

Load

The is going to be moved up and down.The load will be coupled to the bottom of lever.Does the same rule hold.Kindly explain.

Last edited:
The is going to be moved up and down.The load will be coupled to bottom of lever.Does the same rule hold.Kindly explain.
It holds no matter the direction. It's simply the ratio of how far the actuator moves relative to how far the load moves.

Hasn't anyone else caught that it's impossible to answer the O.P.s question with the available information?

They said:

i want to know if installing a lever of about five inches between a 12DCV actuator and the load will cause a decrease in the torque significantly?

What is the mechanical arrangement? Is the "lever" simply an extension of the linear actuator? or is it at right angles to it? Impossible to tell.

If the "lever" moves the load away from the fulcrum of the entire system, then yes, the "torque" (force) will be reduced.

The lever is at right angle to the actuator.It looks more like the alphabet 'Z' with the fulcrum in the middle.Do you understand now?

Last edited:
The lever is at right angle to the actuator.It looks more like the alphabet 'Z' with the fulcrum in the middle.Do you understand now?

No, not really. Why don't you do the reasonable thing and at least try to clue us in by posting a sketch of the arrangement. Could be a drawing on the back of a napkin, we don't care; I really don't know exactly what "more like the alphabet 'Z'" means here. Then we can give you a better answer.

Aside:

Suppose you have a bolt attached to a breaker bar that's 11' foot long. If you apply a force at 10' out, it have to be 10X less than the force applied at 1 foot to loosen the same bolt torqued at some fixed tightness.

Aside:

Suppose you have a bolt attached to a breaker bar that's 11' foot long. If you apply a force at 10' out, it have to be 10X less than the force applied at 1 foot to loosen the same bolt torqued at some fixed tightness.

Right, we know that, and I think the O.P. does too. What we don't know is where exactly the fulcrum is and where the force is being applied, and how far apart and in what geometric arrangement they are. Like they say, pictures and 1,000 words and all ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…