Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

levitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanky25

Hello

I am tryng to build a magnetic levitation train as my academic project. I have a basic idea of building this employing
the principle of a linear induction motor. Can anyone suggest me some more design ideas in this regard?

magnetic levitation is tricky business, to get the speed that you want you need to have a perfect alteration of poles to propel your train. you also need to calculate the correct strength so that it actually moves when it's told. i tried this once before using a 4017 for my own amusement, it was just supposed to move a bar magnet across a desk, the problem was that it kept veering off course. i have to ask, are you prepared to calculate all of these variables that are inevitable going to encounter? today's Mag-Lev trains are controlled by sophisticated computers ouboard the train that can keep a constant state of propulsion.

There is a passive method of magnetic levitation that requires no control circuits or external power. The forward propulsion is supplied by a separate source such as a linear motor which requires only standard motor control circuits.

Last edited:
crut, based on the complexity of the construction of the magnetic structures required for that method it'd be more difficult to implement than a 'standard' one.

Not so. The magnetic structure is quite simple. It consists of a series of permanent magnets in the bottom of the rail car arranged in a Halbach array, which just a way of placing the magnets so that the magnetic field is concentrated on one side and cancels on the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back