Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

light sensor device

Status
Not open for further replies.

colin886

Hey i was playing splintercell and i saw the light detector display i thought of how to make one but got no ideas.
does anyone know how to make a sensor so that there are three leds red orange and green.in darkness the green will be on when it gets brighter it will turn to orange and wheneven brighter like infront of a flashlight it will turnt to red. thanks. :D

colin886 said:
Hey i was playing splintercell and i saw the light detector display i thought of how to make one but got no ideas.
does anyone know how to make a sensor so that there are three leds red orange and green.in darkness the green will be on when it gets brighter it will turn to orange and wheneven brighter like infront of a flashlight it will turnt to red. thanks. :D
A site called "All About Electronics" (correct the name if it is wrong) has a section on ADC circuits that contained a DAC in them.

Make yourself one, and add some logic gates at the output of the count.

For example, a dark light could produce a digital output of 0000, and a bright light could produce a 1110, and medium light could produce a 1001.

Take the output and pass it through a decoder. If you only need a 3-bit resolution, you can use a 74xx138 decoder.

The higher the resolution, the better chances a particular brightness can be detected, but more resistors will be required. 8-bit is common.

Try using national's LM3914-LM3916 dot/bar graph display ICs. Set for dot display.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back