Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lightning machine fix

Harlyquin

I have a lightning effect machine that has a strobe light and sounds. The strobe light only strobe it doesn't flash in time to the sound. Can any one suggest a circuit diagram I could add to give me the desired effect?

The metal sphere is 3 ft diameter. 240v 60a input produces 12 ft long sparks sound is in time with the sparks I am only 30 ft away. It only takes a micro second for sound to travel 30 ft. 27 ft diameter circle of sparks in our back yard. It makes my remote control garage door go crazy up down up down up down changes directions at random times over and over. All garage doors within 2 blocks are going crazy also. Several people standing outside wondering why is every garage door on our street going crazy. All the security alarms in 5 block radius are going off also.

tc10-4.jpg

The metal sphere is 3 ft diameter. 240v 60a input produces 12 ft long sparks sound is in time with the sparks I am only 30 ft away. It only takes a micro second for sound to travel 30 ft. 27 ft diameter circle of sparks in our back yard. It makes my remote control garage door go crazy up down up down up down changes directions at random times over and over. All garage doors within 2 blocks are going crazy also. Several people standing outside wondering why is every garage door on our street going crazy. All the security alarms in 5 block radius are going off also.

View attachment 147414
You sound like a nightmare to live near.

Mike.

You sound like a nightmare to live near.

Mike.
In my mid 20's I constructed a van de graaff generator hybrid that was closer to a pelletron electrostatic generator capable of producing an estimated 750kV. Seems like every time I fired that thing up it would rain shortly afterwards ... perhaps the clouds were jealous. Felt as though I was a bit of a weather warlock.

One of the last HV experiments I did was a high speed corona motor ...

... And a 13-Stage Marx generator powered from a 6-cell Laptop battery...

Last edited:
When I was at college they had a room that looked like Frankenstein's laboratory, with a massive Walton Cockcroft multiplier, massive circular spark gaps, and a huge Jacobs Ladder - I can't remember what else?.

Despite our requests, they never demonstrated it working, as apparently it wiped out TV and Radio for the entire town - and it was only ever fired up occasionally on open days.

It must have cost a fortune, and I could never see what it there for, particularly as it couldn't be used?.

... they never demonstrated it working, as apparently it wiped out TV and Radio for the entire town
When I would fire up the MARX generator you see in the video above, it had to be battery powered. Anything else would back-feed across the power supply over the mains and knock out several computers (at least enough to cause them to reboot)

When I would fire up the MARX generator you see in the video above, it had to be battery powered. Anything else would back-feed across the power supply over the mains and knock out several computers (at least enough to cause them to reboot)

Wasn't a problem at college, as it was home pre-home computer :D

However, they did have a computer at college, but it was a valve based one in it's own room - I believe it was donated to the college, I've no idea if it ever worked? - again, we were never shown it working.

We did however once access the Open University main frame via teletype, at 100 baud or what ever :D

It was a different era!.

In college many years ago they had what they called the AC lab. One on the demonstrations they did was to brake a huge motor to get the mains frequency to change and you could see the lights beating in time. They also had a huge inductor that they would turn of with a knife switch causing a very large arc to form.

When I started work at Long & Crawfords (High voltage switch manufacturers) the test department tested (through tank) bushings at 21kA during lunch break by paralleling up three phase transformers onto one phase. One day we observed a test but the current didn't switch off (supposed to after 3 seconds). The oil started to get very hot and the Chief Engineer started to run away. Me being young and naive didn't realise anything was wrong and stayed to watch. Luckily the current was cut off shortly afterwards.

Like you say Nigel, a very different era.

Mike.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back