Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linear speed fan control for a smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saison

Hello there, I'm so rusty at this stuff I squeak. Quick into, I graduated from a CET about 20 years ago. Back then, I could build circuits in my sleep. Since then, I've moved onto industrial instrumentation, and my circuit level electronics knowledge is long gone.

The project I need help with is a smoker temperature controller for my Primo XL. The simplest and most well known option is a small fan (around 10 cfm) to provide the intake draft, with feedback and control provided by a PID temperature controller.

Generally, the 12 Vdc fan is run in the on/off mode, but this presents a few issues. I would prefer a linear control, but that has problems as well. I just need some sort of offset adjustment on an amplifier circuit, I guess, to account for the fan start-up voltage probably not being 0V dc. I would like to be a able to adjust that bottom voltage so that the 0% output from the controller (4mA, 1Vdc or 2.4vdc to the amplifier input) is 0Vdc out of the amp, and 1% becomes a voltage of 3-6 Vdc (or whatever the startup voltage for the fan is). And 100% is 12vDC.

Thanks.

Google PID and PWM

If analog is what you want, then try using an op-amp based controller. Depending on the temperatures involved, you may need to pick between a thermistor and a temperature sensor. If the circuit is going to be connected to anything else, you may want to include a PWM controller to turn the op-amp DC into a signal that would not cause any ripple in the line. If not just boost the output power of the op-amp with an appropriate transistor. This is a pretty nice little fan controller that should have no trouble operating your fan on PWM: TC649BEPA Microchip Technology Motor / Motion / Ignition Controllers & Drivers

The control for the op amp will come from the PID, which will get it's feedback from a TC. I'll just use a resistor to convert the 4-20 mA out to 1-5vCD or 2.4-12 Vdc into an op-amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back