Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linux schematic/simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukeee

I have just switched to using linux (Fedora) and was wondering if anybody on this forum has any sugestions for good schematic software and/or circuit simulation software that willl run on linux.

Thanks for your help

if you get the money use ORCAD Pspice using WINE.

Thanks for the suggestion never thought about using WINE have you got it working using this setup?

it is fantastic (esp the latest version).

I use Orcad, Maple and for simple simulink stuff Matlab (since wine does eat into yr CPU).

I have maple and matlab installed on my windows partition and just mount my NTFS progs partition and run off of that.

That's brilliant news, I've just decided to go the full hog and run a linux only machine, in the past I have always run a dual boot then become to lazy to spend any time configuring linux to get it working how I wanted and reverted back to using winXP.

Hopefully I will get it working so I don't need windows, my past attempts at getting windows programs running under linux with WINE wasn't that sucsessfull but that was a few years ago so I'm sure it has improved a lot since then.

Thanks for your help

Bump.

Has the Linux simulation scene improved since back then?

I've dabbled in Linux a bit and I haven't used it for a couple of months now but I'm still interested.

Are there any really good free Linux simulators around now?

How about intgrated schematic capture and PCB routing software?

Really the best thing would be a package that can do, schematic capture, simulation and PCBs. Ideally it would be multi-platform so I can run it under Winwoes too.

yup eagle has windows & linux clients
so thats good for sch

for sim, there is gEDA, its pretty good, still a WIP

I've avoided Eagle because it isn't totally free. Don't get me worng, I don't have a problem with non-free software, I just don't like it when they impose silly limitations on it. However, I haven't ruled out using Eagle, I would just rather use something more well free.

Styx said:
for sim, there is gEDA, its pretty good, still a WIP
I might check that out, but there's no Winwoes version, if I ever get round to it I might try out Cygwin.

I take when you say WIP you mean Work In Progress.

No No No...

To sum it up in 5 words:

ktechlab is all you need.

To install:

sudo yum -y install ktechlab

Well, I still need other programs that keep me in Bill's (Gates) world. But I think a time for change is coming. But until the non-tech people can figure it all out.. We are stuck.

At work we are 99% Unix (1 Windows 2003 server and maybe 25 Unix; no one needs to do the math on the 99% but it would will be that if we had to add more servers).

Now that is in IT (I run that). In the office all are running Windows talking to these servers. Even on my desk.

It is sad. But I need things that do not run on Unix so I use Windows too.. When I consult, all Windows.

I have thought about a dual boot and no internet on the Windows side. And I see that day getting closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back