Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Little trouble soldering commercial PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stalin828

I am working with some tiny electronics. I needed to solder a bunch of 24 gauge wire onto the surface of a PCB right next to each other. I put some solder on the wires and was touching them to the board and then touching the soldering iron to the connection to melt them together. Anyway, my hand slipped on the 4th wire and I smeared a little solder across 2 connections. I tried using a desoldering braid to remove the solder from the board on those connections, but there is still a little solder residue smeared on the board shorting the connection. Anyone have a good method for removing the solder at this point?

I was thinking about using a razor and attempting to remove the solder mask between the 2 joints, then putting a line of superglue between the connections to act as a new solder mask. I have never done this before, but it seems to me like it should work.

There is less than 1mm of space between the connections.

Any other ideas?

Last edited:
Get a solder sucker and you should be able to get the residue out.

Alternatively, put the board on its side, reheat the bridged solder and give the board a sharp tap - this should clear the bridge

Get a solder sucker and you should be able to get the residue out.

Alternatively, put the board on its side, reheat the bridged solder and give the board a sharp tap - this should clear the bridge

Yeah I actually did try with a solder sucker and couldn't get it all.

picbits method of 'tapping' the board works well.
Although I would call it BANG, or smash.

yeah....
Put more solder on, get it well juiced up and heated, then smash it (upside down) on the bench, and watch the solder fly off into the distance.

I use this method all the time!
Works well.

Razor blade works too. Might have to use it to scrap it off, if the solder is actually sticking to the board.

Razor blade works too. Might have to use it to scrap it off, if the solder is actually sticking to the board.

Razor blades are dangerous to handle.

Better use a scalpel.

They are available at drug stores (at least in Germany) in different shapes and sizes.

They are also stronger than a razor blade and have a grip at a safe distance from the cutting edge. :)

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back