Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

lizard detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

manasi420

i am terrfied of lizards and i want a way to eradicate them atleast from my house.this freq device is of no help and lizards don't crawl out.
i want to build a device that detects the presence of a lizard in and around the room u r standing.this might be a silly idea but i really want to make one.this will be a great help to me.im very new to electronics.infact im in 1st sem doing electronics and communications.

there's someone making an ultrasonic object detector, maybe you can get ideas from him.

you fear lizards? i understand some people eat them :lol:

manasi420 said:
i am terrfied of lizards and i want a way to eradicate them atleast from my house.this freq device is of no help and lizards don't crawl out.
i want to build a device that detects the presence of a lizard in and around the room u r standing.this might be a silly idea but i really want to make one.this will be a great help to me.im very new to electronics.infact im in 1st sem doing electronics and communications.

I'm sorry but I have to...

Your time is better spent getting over your fear of lizards than it is to make some detector that I assure you, will never be reliable. Don't waste your time.

Yes. lizards are tasty! This reminds me of a project I made a long time ago. It was a solar powered robot that sat around sunning until it detected motion (squirrel) then chased it away. It kept getting stuck and eventually attacked by squirrels and sat on by birds and my cats refused to come in the backyard.

Oh well, it was worth a try.

Why not get a lizard trap? Someone must make them. And lots of dogs like lizards (if you can handle all the crunching noises).

I can't think of a way to detect lizards in a given proximity.

If the lizard crawls under a door or something, or you know where the entrance is, you could make a simple IR cros detector. If the lizard breaks the beam it sets off an alarm.

Can't use any kind of heat detection, lizards are cold-blooded :lol:

Re: reply

aibelectronics said:
C'mon up to Canada. There ain't no lizards here.
I understand the fear. Don't big lizards eat people like our polar bears do?
It is easy to detect a polar bear. You can hear one cumin'. :lol:

Lizards eh?

A bit like a Goanna (Monitor Lizard).

As Crocodile Dundee said....

"You can live off it, but it tastes like sh*t"

JimB

Hi manasi,

Movement with no body heat.
That would rule out small mammals.

One thing though, i think lizards sit very still for long periods.
That would limit the movement sensor somewhat.

There may not be a way to indicate the prescence of a lizard electronically.
It may not be possible to build a lizard sensor.

Interesting and curious.

John :)

I wonder if one of those ultrasonic pest repellers would drive away the lizard as well?

There may be types of plants that lizards avoid.
Which you could put in pots here and there.
Dunno how you would find out about that.

thanks john and everybody else.its a greater challenge now that there is no particular solution to this one.let me know if u come across anything.
thanks and i might really consider moving to canada if i don't find any strong lizard repellant. :)

manasi420 said:
thanks john and everybody else.its a greater challenge now that there is no particular solution to this one.let me know if u come across anything.
thanks and i might really consider moving to canada if i don't find any strong lizard repellant. :)

Try the UK, we don't have polar bears either :lol:

Or, even better, Ireland - no snakes there (not that there's many in the UK).

Some kinds of frogs, lizards, and snakes can glide between trees. They have extra flaps of skin on their bodies that act like parachutes when they jump.

Attachments

• flying_lizard.jpg
    flying_lizard.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 874
No wonder our OP is scared of lizards, he's (she's?) been watching too many cartoons of fire-breathing flying dragons! :lol:

Beware the dreaded Canadian lizards!

audioguru said:
aibelectronics said:
C'mon up to Canada. There ain't no lizards here.
I understand the fear. Don't big lizards eat people like our polar bears do?
It is easy to detect a polar bear. You can hear one cumin'. :lol:

https://www.answers.com/topic/lizards-in-canada :(
You reminded me of that old joke about how to catch a Polar bear. :)
I picked up a little Horned Lizard (horny toad) just last week when I was out in the desert in Northern Nevada, detecting for gold. Also ran across a rattlesnake. I'll take a lizard over a snake any day. :D

Manasi420, you should get therapy. You can overcome this phobia.

audioguru said:
Do lizards fly? :?: :?:

Well, not exactly fly but there is one that can glide. You should watch more nature programs, one learns about all sorts of odd creatures there :p.

The original poster might confuse lizards with geckos, the cute little velvety things that run all over walls and windows at night, hunting for food. I can't imagine what a lizard would find attractive indoors unless its shelter ( too hot/cold outside) or also food. For the latter, find out what particular type of lizard it is and what it eats, then make sure there is nothing for it to eat inside.

Actually, the best advice might be to find somebody who has a pet lizard and try to get aquainted with it to overcome the fear factor.
There was an interesting program about hypnosis on recently and the use of this to overcome a fear of spiders. After a few sessions the subject could watch big tarantulas thru a glass panel without running away sreaming. Might be worthwhile for our poster with lizardphobia.

I dare say electronic reptile repellants are unlikely to be successful.
Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back