Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM2586 booster regulator help

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockStar

Hello everyone!

I am having an issue with the lack of current from this circuit and wondering if you have any suggestions. I built this booster circuit to power an amp that is rated from 40-50 volts DC. Using the the LM2586T- Adj put me right into the rang of 12 volts input with 48volts out. The issue, this circuit is only good for .8 amps of current. I need this circuit to hold at least 20amps. I though about using a set of pass transistors to hold the current but I am not sure if that work? I have built many step down regulators to hold as much as 200amps @ 12volts however this step up business seems backwards to me. Any help would great!!

thanks again!

Here is the diagram I am working with...

**broken link removed**

never happen... you have a 3A switch, divided by the transfer ratio to give you the 0.8A

you need to be switching 100A@12V to get 20A@48V

dan

Last edited:
Your source (a 12 car battery?) will need to supply at least 100A continuously, this would melt a typical car battery. What do you need 48V @ 20A for?

A totally annoying (and deaf inducing) sound system for a car?

You need to use a boost regulator with external switches. This one has it's own internal switch, so there is no way to increase it's performance easily.

You need to use a boost regulator with external switches. This one has it's own internal switch, so there is no way to increase it's performance easily.

Thanks Smanches! I am curious about the external switches for this boost application. Do you have any examples or somewhere I can reference this type of circuit in greater detail?

I am using this “boost circuit” to achieve the acquired voltage from a standard car voltage source, basically 12volt in and 48 out to power a 10 meter ham radio amplifier @ 20 amps continuous duty cycle. As far as the amperage on the 12volt source, this is not a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back