Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM35 or AD390 to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

saran

Which is the best one to use.
I want to sense the temperature variations in voltage and want to do programming in PIC16f877A.
While using AD390, the voltage variations is in millivolt , if i use an opamp amplifier circuit , whether it will be good or using LM35 is a better option

The LM35 is a temperature sensor, the AD390 is a digital to analog converter... Therefore I have absolutely no idea why you're asking for advice on which one to use! If you want to sense temperature, it would seem logical to use a temperature sensor, and not a DAC...

I'm new to microprocessors and I don't know about Pics but they should have built-in ADC much like other micros, so I don't see why you need the extra chip AD390. The LM35 is simple to use I recall seeing it on analog circuits in hobby projects.

Go over the PIC16f877A datasheet and see the connection pins for the ADC. Or try searching for a similar PIC project on the internet.

Matmem said:
I'm new to microprocessors and I don't know about Pics but they should have built-in ADC much like other micros, so I don't see why you need the extra chip AD390. The LM35 is simple to use I recall seeing it on analog circuits in hobby projects.

Go over the PIC16f877A datasheet and see the connection pins for the ADC. Or try searching for a similar PIC project on the internet.
You're adding befuddlement to confusion. As evandude said, AD390 is a digital-to-analog converter, not an analog-to-digital converter.

saran said:
Which is the best one to use.
I want to sense the temperature variations in voltage and want to do programming in PIC16f877A.
While using AD390, the voltage variations is in millivolt , if i use an opamp amplifier circuit , whether it will be good or using LM35 is a better option
Do you mean AD590? Its output is 1uA/degree Kelvin. LM35 is 10mV/degree Centigrade. If you want C output from the AD590, you have to subtract the equivalent of 273 degrees in your op amp scaling circuit, which means you will also need a stable reference voltage. The LM35 is much easier to use unless you want your measurement in degrees Kelvin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back