Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM350 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheresmyhammer

Hi – I recently built a simple voltage regulator circuit using LM350, straight off the datasheet. (I’m looking to power a piece of equipment requiring 12.6V at 2.6 Amps.) I first tested it with about a 1 Amp load and everything was fine. I then hooked it to an automotive bulb (printed rating 27W). It stayed lit for a few seconds and then the chip’s thermal and/or current protection kicked in. I had the 350 on what I thought was a reasonable heatsink for the job, but to make sure I replaced it with a large 3”x4” heatsink and added a fan too. The bulb stayed on a few more seconds until it dimmed out. The big heatsink wasn’t that hot.

The LM350 says it’s “guaranteed” to put out 3 Amps. What am I doing wrong?

- In a perfect world, 27W / 12.6V would be 2.1A. I understand that AC Watts are derated based on efficiency, but I thought DC Watts equaled V x A? My ammeter shows just over 2 Amps while the bulb is lit.

- Do you think I might just have a bad LM350, or that there is some reason why it’s acting like a regular 1.5A LM317? Or do I really need gi-mongous cooling for such a seemingly modest circuit?

- Sure, I could redo the circuit with a pass transistor to share the load, but there would seem no reason to – the 350 says it can handle the Amps.
I would appreciate any ideas you might have. Thanks!

- Steve

There will be conditions to that 3A output, under ideal conditions it will put out 3A. It really boils down to thermal. How high is your input voltage.

The actual current limit varies with both the input-output voltage differential and the junction temperature...check the device's datasheet and on page three there is a very useful plot.

Input is 24V. I suppose I could regulate that down to ~16V first with a sturdy transistor/Zener combo to take some stress off the 350?

You could connect a power resistor in series to drop the extra voltage.

Possible solutions:

1) zener/transistor pre-regulator
2) power resistor
3) Most efficient, but most complex and expensive; use a switchmode supply.

Last edited:
Put your thumb on back of LM350, then turn on power supply. It will be an indelible learning exercise.

The LM350 will put out 3 amp. They also have thermal shut down protection. If you are going from 24 vdc to 12 vdc with 2 amps of load the LM350 will be dissipating 24 watts. This requires a very large heat sink. It will do it if you provide the necessary heat sink. I would try to keep the dissipation to less then 5-6 watts and that is a pretty large heat sink too, about 10 square inches heat sink with 1" fins. You can add a fan to cut the heat sink size down.

A discrete series pass transistor will have the same issue. Since it does not have a smart thermal shut down, it will just blow out instead.

Last edited:
A simple switching regulator can be made with a couple of transistors.

The current can be increased to 3A with the help of a MOSFET, it's possible to include current limiting, the site linked below gives more information.

2-transistor Black Regulator

Last edited:
Thanks for the great help, guys! I was thinking in terms of load and not anything else. I understand the issues much better now!

Cheers!

- Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back