Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM358 Square Wave Oscillator Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

RKG

I am going to be using a LM358 as a Square Wave Oscillator for a college project but am having some trouble in calculating what Resistor and Capacitor values I'll need to use to produce a frequency of 1Hz. I'll be using the oscillator on pg 14 of this document: **broken link removed**

I've found many equations during my research but am unable to find one that relates to the LM358.

The most common equation I have found is: T=2RC ln[(1+λ)/(1-λ)] Where λ=R1/R1+R2

Of course this does not take into account R3 of the LM358 circuit. Can I leave R3 out of the equation or do I change the equation to this: λ=R1/R1+R2+R3 ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
If you can type a question...

Wrong reply. Please neglect this post.

Last edited:
First look at how an oscillator with an ideal opamp behaves:

The output switches rail-to-rail (0 to 10V). The voltage at node N1 switches between 1/3 and 2/3 of V+ (3.333V and 6.666V). The period of the oscillation is proportional to R4*C1, which exhibits the classical exponential charge/discharge voltage vs time between the 1/3V+ 2/3v+ limits at node I1.

Now look at what happens if you use an LM358, which is not a rail-to-rail output opamp. Note a lightly-loaded LM358 pulls close to 0V, but it only pulls to (V+) -1.2V when high. This effects what happens at node N2, which no longer is switching between 1/3 and 2/3 of V+, which creates an asymmetric output, and changes the period. I'll leave it to you to derive the equation; I use LTSpice so I dont have to. :D

In fact, this shows why, when building an RC oscillator, you are better off using a LM555. It is much less effected by power supply and load variations than this oscillator.

Attachments

• DF169a.png
    DF169a.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 665
  • DF169b.png
    DF169b.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 505
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back