Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM3914 Question, Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSwede73

Hi again, i know i have asked some of you about this before, maybe im a slow learner :)

My main question is.

Can anyone maybe take a photo of a simpl circuit with the lm3914, with a potentiometer connected so you can adjust the leds on a bargraph, 10 leds.

I have it connected to a breadboard, but i just dont know how to connect everything...

So, the lm3914, a 10 led bargraph, potentiometer, battery.

Thanks!!

Hi again, i know i have asked some of you about this before, maybe im a slow learner :)

My main question is.

Can anyone maybe take a photo of a simpl circuit with the lm3914, with a potentiometer connected so you can adjust the leds on a bargraph, 10 leds.

I have it connected to a breadboard, but i just dont know how to connect everything...

So, the lm3914, a 10 led bargraph, potentiometer, battery.

Thanks!!

hi,
Connect one end of the pot to +5V and the other end to 0V,, wiper to +5Vinp

Attachments

• esp03 Feb. 04.gif
    esp03 Feb. 04.gif
    20.3 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Thanks!

And " - " from the battery to ground? at pin 2 or am i totally lost here :)

hi,
This a common cause of confusion.

The battery -V terminal is the 0V common connection, drawn as an upside down tree.! OK.?

Next question :)

If i read the schematic it looks like the V- and the +5v (with the pot, between) is connected together... via the dotted line with the capacitor....

I know its much to ask, but could you write excactly where everything connects... i would really appreciate it!

Thanks again!
/Anders

The circuit does not have a V- negative supply. Instead it has +5V, +6.8V to +18V and 0V which some people call ground.
The capacitor with dotted wires has its negative wire connected to 0V and its positive wire is connected to V-LED.
The pot has one terminal connected to 0V and the other terminal connected to +5V.

Are you from this world? or the matrix? :)

Thanks... what would i do... nobody seems to be interested in electronics in Sweden... but i just love it, i dont know so much, obviously.... i have about 20 000 leds, all kinds... but i dont know much about circuits...

Thanks for being there!, i'm so happy!

I hope you don't mind me asking questions, i can't really be of much help myself....

/Anders

Still no lights

Hi again!

Is it neccessary with the capacitor?
I just can't get it to work...

I have +5v to one leg of the capacitor, the middle leg on the 5-pin (signal) on the Lm3914.
But then the other leg of the pot seems to be connected to 0V.. where do i connect the (+) side of the leds, the one's that are joined togheter.

Thanks!

Thankyou!

I'm sure!, im on my way to buy a lab-powerunit now, i hate messing with batteries that needs recharging and so on...
After that i will try.
But again, is the capacitor needed?

And now i understand that i need two powersources?, didn't get that in the beginning...
One that provides 5 volt and one 9-12V

Thanks again!

Thankyou!

I'm sure!, im on my way to buy a lab-powerunit now, i hate messing with batteries that needs recharging and so on...
After that i will try.
But again, is the capacitor needed?
If the LED's are more than 6 inches from the LM3914 then Yes.

And now i understand that i need two powersources?, didn't get that in the beginning...

One that provides 5 volt and one 9-12V
You can use a resistive divider to give the 5V from the 12V.

Thanks again!

Assume your psu is 12V output.
And your signal pot is 10K.
So you have to drop 7V in a series resistor from the 12V...

I'll do a sketch give me a minute.:)

EDIT:
Connect a 14K resistor from the top of the 10K pot as shown, this will give the 10K pot a range of 5V.

If you only have a 15K resistor, then this will give 4.8V across the pot.

OK.?

BTW: a 220K in parallel with a 15K should give about 14K....

Attachments

• esp03 Feb. 04.gif
    esp03 Feb. 04.gif
    19.5 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Thankyou!

Never use rechargable batteries for prototyping unless you're 110% confident the circuit is working and you haven't shorted anything out.

Rechargable batteries give out a whopping great current and will fry/melt/vapourise anything in their path if you've got a short.

Thanks!

I have always been using batteries...but from today a labunit..

Wow, much new information here :)

I will study it, and if you have the time and could draw a new schedule i would really appreciate it, but you dont have to, i have gotten much more help than i deserve already :)

Thanks!

And stuck again, damnit...

Do i have to connect everything like in the picture? like from pin 7 to 6 and so on or are those for other applications?

Stuck again, damnit...

Do i have to connect everything on the schematic? the 7 pin with the 6, and the two resistors there or is that for other applications?

It will not work if pin 6 is not connected to pin 7.
Every part and every connection in the schematic has a reason.

The only optional connection is pin 9: Connect it to the positive supply for a bar-graph and leave it disconnected for a moving dot.

I see!, i thought this schematic was for many different applications, then i get it..

The resistors from pin 7, are they the same value always, unaffected by the choice of 9 or 12 volts?

I see!, i thought this schematic was for many different applications, then i get it..

The resistors from pin 7, are they the same value always, unaffected by the choice of 9 or 12 volts?

hi,
The resistor values shown are from the application datasheet, to suit a 5V input signal and all pins MUST be connected as per the drawing.

The values will suit 9 or 12V operation.

Do you have the LM3914 datasheet.?
Datasheet Archive - Free Datasheet Search Engine :: PDF Datasheets :: Data Sheet :: Datasheet :: Application Note : ??? : ??? : ???? : ????? : ??????? : Fiche technique : Datenblatt : ????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back