Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Logic switch symbol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boncuk

I found a sliding switch at an electronics shop these days.

It is a three position four pin switch. The switching behaviour is very unusual.

In position A pins 1 and 2 are connected, in position B pins 2 and 3 and in position C pins 3 and 4.

There is no problem to understand the switch positions and functions, however how can one create a logic symbol readable in a schematic?

From the pin arrangement it looks like a serial switch, normally connecting pin1 and 2 in position A, pins 1 - 3 in position B and pins 1 - 4 in position C.

I made a symbol and a package for the device.

Please take a look and suggest improvement so it is clearly recognizable.

Boncuk

Attachments

• SWITCH-DEVICE.gif
    SWITCH-DEVICE.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 267
  • SLIDESWITCH.gif
    SLIDESWITCH.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 220
How about this?

Attachments

• funkyswitch.gif
    funkyswitch.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
How about this?

Thank you Mike,

but this doesn't show the real function.

The connections are A=1-2, B=2-3, C=2-4, pin1 is completely disconnected in positions other than A.

According to your suggestion it slides to connect A=1-2, B=2-3, C=3-4.

It should be plausible if I swap pin 2 to position 3, so the pin sequence should be 1,3,2,4, but this could be misleading too, since position A connects pins 1 and 2, and the slider only connects 2 pins at a time.

Kind regards

Hans

Last edited:
Sorry, I misunderstood. That is a configuration that is hard to describe.

Last edited:
Best bet here I think is to show a box on the schematic with a table describing the switch configuration. For PCB just make a symbol that works for your SW. I dunno, that is a tricky one.

Here are the possible switch functions once again.

In position A the slider connecting pins 2, 3 and 4 (pos B and C) is in the neutral position, not connecting any pin.

Hans

Attachments

• SW-POS.gif
    SW-POS.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 257
For your schematic, I would just show a table. Or your symbol will look real strange. I would just show the pins on the schema, and make a note: See table.

Hi Mike,

I found it!

That thing is a normal serial switch with a weird pin connection. Assuming pin2 is the common pin, it connects to pin1, 3 and 4 depending on the switch position.

And here is a proper symbol for it.

Hans

Attachments

• SER-SW.gif
    SER-SW.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 223
hi Hans,

What about this alternative, 'B' is the common/wiper.

Attachments

• esp01 Oct. 19.gif
    esp01 Oct. 19.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 235
And here is the redesigned switch. Shouldn't make any problems reading it in a schematic.

Hans

Attachments

• ser-dev.gif
    ser-dev.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 448
  • ser-pack.gif
    ser-pack.gif
    6.6 KB · Views: 196
hi Hans,

What about this alternative, 'B' is the common/wiper.

Thanks Eric,

I guess we caught it simultaneously. :D

That switch is a classic example for screwing up brains with the pins out of order.

Regards

Hans

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back