Logic switch symbol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boncuk

I found a sliding switch at an electronics shop these days.

It is a three position four pin switch. The switching behaviour is very unusual.

In position A pins 1 and 2 are connected, in position B pins 2 and 3 and in position C pins 3 and 4.

There is no problem to understand the switch positions and functions, however how can one create a logic symbol readable in a schematic?

From the pin arrangement it looks like a serial switch, normally connecting pin1 and 2 in position A, pins 1 - 3 in position B and pins 1 - 4 in position C.

I made a symbol and a package for the device.

Please take a look and suggest improvement so it is clearly recognizable.

Boncuk

Attachments

• SWITCH-DEVICE.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 267
  • SLIDESWITCH.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 220
How about this?

Thank you Mike,

but this doesn't show the real function.

The connections are A=1-2, B=2-3, C=2-4, pin1 is completely disconnected in positions other than A.

According to your suggestion it slides to connect A=1-2, B=2-3, C=3-4.

It should be plausible if I swap pin 2 to position 3, so the pin sequence should be 1,3,2,4, but this could be misleading too, since position A connects pins 1 and 2, and the slider only connects 2 pins at a time.

Kind regards

Hans

Last edited:
Sorry, I misunderstood. That is a configuration that is hard to describe.

Last edited:
Best bet here I think is to show a box on the schematic with a table describing the switch configuration. For PCB just make a symbol that works for your SW. I dunno, that is a tricky one.

Here are the possible switch functions once again.

In position A the slider connecting pins 2, 3 and 4 (pos B and C) is in the neutral position, not connecting any pin.

Hans

Attachments

• SW-POS.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 257
For your schematic, I would just show a table. Or your symbol will look real strange. I would just show the pins on the schema, and make a note: See table.

Hi Mike,

I found it!

That thing is a normal serial switch with a weird pin connection. Assuming pin2 is the common pin, it connects to pin1, 3 and 4 depending on the switch position.

And here is a proper symbol for it.

Hans

Attachments

• SER-SW.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 223
hi Hans,

What about this alternative, 'B' is the common/wiper.

Attachments

• esp01 Oct. 19.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 235
And here is the redesigned switch. Shouldn't make any problems reading it in a schematic.

Hans

Attachments

• ser-dev.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 448
  • ser-pack.gif
    6.6 KB · Views: 196
hi Hans,

What about this alternative, 'B' is the common/wiper.

Thanks Eric,

I guess we caught it simultaneously.

That switch is a classic example for screwing up brains with the pins out of order.

Regards

Hans

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…