Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a certain relay...don't know if it exists

Status
Not open for further replies.

confused101

I am new to the forum as well as new to electronics in general, so I would like to thank everyone in advance for their patience and help.

I have a dilemna...I am building a 12 volt DC powered remote control light for my feeder to scare the wild hogs away. I am using a Heddolf/Keystone ER294 receiver(with remotes). As opposed to most receivers which reverse polarity to engage/disengage the relay, this receiver unit has only a single wire. I am needing a latch relay that will engage and disengage with just a single wire. There are two wires, but was told by the distributor that one of them is not to be used. The recommended wire to use was the wire they call "Normal open of relay output". The wire he said NOT to use was the wire designated "Normal close of relay output".
Is there a relay that operates(opens and closes the circuit) with only one wire attached? I don't mind looking on the internet but I have no idea what it would be called. I am completely unfamiliar with electronics and truth be known...I am lost. I hoped some of you electronic type guys could advise us less knowledgable folks.
Thanks again for any help you may offer.

I found this writeup about P294 receivers. I don't know if it is different from the ER294 you have.

HooverFence.Net - Heddolf Receiver - Installation Instructions

Irregardless, you will need the normally open (NO) contact and the common (C) terminals (or wires) on your receiver's relay. These two wires will operate a toggle relay- one receiver pulse turns the light on, another pulse turns it off. Depending on the toggle relay chosen, you may need a power source to power the circuit. You will need to know how much power the light consumes and the contact rating (volts and amps) of the contacts in your recceiver to determine part of the toggle relay specs.

If you have deep pockets, this should work:

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
if you have some soldering experience, you can build a toggle relay that will respond and toggle when the contact of the radio is operated every time..

Is there a relay that operates(opens and closes the circuit) with only one wire attached?

Thats like asking if there a battery and lamp circuit that will operate with just 1 wire connected between the 2 units

No. you have to have a return wire, otherwise there's a gap in the circuit

cheers
Dave

12VDC "impulse relays" run from ~$US35.00 and up.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back