Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

looking for a middle man

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamproject

Hi all,

Just came up with a devastating realization . My all-too-expensive LM629's , encoders steering setup will not work through the parallel port. The number or i/o lines to "talk" to the 629's aren't enough . I am just thinking aloud . Could I use an intermediate micro-controller to recieve commands from the PC ( 4 bits ), 16 commands are enough and then the micro-controller to output hex instructions for the 629 to understand . Since my position , vel,accn co-efficients are going to be constant ( the motor shaft moves through a fixed pos,at const vel,accn
[10 degrees , 500 rev/s and 0.1 rad/ s/s]
for every 1v change in the joystick pot) . Why then a PC ? for one - I can display a virtual steering and other input data such a joystick pos . But the important reason is that joystick inputs are read by the computer.

Any other suggestions on how this could be implemented

Thanks

A micro should work for this app. The serial port is usualy used for PC to micro communication rather than the Parallel port.

If you want a simple solution J.R. Kerr sells a PIC with a PID controller pre-programed in. You just send it commands. Its designed to talk to the serial port.

One common trick to increase the number of I/O lines is to use data latches.
1 octal latch : 8 outputs from 9 inputs
2 octal latches : 16 outputs from 10 inputs
3 octal latches : 24 outputs from 11 inputs
4 octal latches : 32 outputs from 11 inputs
and so on.

How many do you need?

if you want to use an ISA bus PC, my circuit can/will give you 8 input bits and as it currently configured 4 ,individually controlled outputs..

oh the last page has the circuit drawn with eagle..

The PC-s parallel port [PP] has three busses:

Data bus output 8bits (D0-D7) Adr= BASE
Sense bus input 5 bits (S3-S7) Adr=BASE+1
control bus output 4 bits (C0-C3) adr=BASE+2

S7,C0,C1 and C3 are inverted.
Under DOS the BASE can be found at 0x0000:0x0408 and ....409
(Lsb-Msb)

I would use C for address and D for data out, S for data in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back