Looking for a "reverse amplifier" circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

delambo

I am looking for a circuit (or some advise) on how to drop a high voltage signal by a given percentage accurately - like an amplifier only in reverse!

I wish to have a switchable scale to reduce by 5000% (50 volts to 1 volt), 2000% (20 volts to 1 volt) 500% (5 volts to 1 volt) and straight through, ie to supply my curcuit board with 1 volt direct from the supply.

I am currently doing this using the voltage divider method with 2 resistors, but I looking for something a little more accurate and pleasing to the eye!

I am currently switching between the scales with 4 push to make switches (one for each scale), a pic controller and 4 relays, but I open to more suggestions on this.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks.

Last edited:
You seem to be on the right path. Attenuation is the more proper term for your reverse amplifier term (that I have also seen used for special application using an active amplifier, but forget it's details). You can design a switchable attenuator that will allow a specific reduction of gain you seek depending on the switched attenuator you switch into the signal path. You will need to use double pole switches that will route both the input and output signal to selected attenuator, or you could use a single multi-pole multi-position rotory switch.

To do it accurately you will need to know the impedance of the source and load to calculate the individual attenuator stages.

Here is one on-line attenuator calculator aid, but there are many on line and in reference manuals.

https://chemandy.com/calculators/pi_attenuator_calculator.htm

Good luck

Lefty

Thanks leftyretro. Now you mention attenuator I remember, its been a while since I studied electronics and I forget the stuff I dont use evry day!

...and on closer inspection that is pretty much what I am already doing only without the first shunt resistor!

Is your voltage AC? Why not using a transformator with multiple primary and secondary windings?

Is your voltage DC? Why not using PWM, % duty cycle is % attenuation, and low pass filter?

What load are you driving?

You might need a buffer amplifier on both the input and output to isolate it from the source and load impedance but this is only normally necessary if the input or load can be a variety of different things; i.e. if your attenuator is going to be a piece of test equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…