Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

looking for BJT that inludes protection diode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphadog

Banned
I have a BJT that switches on & off a relay, and i couldnt find a low cost, not through hole, BJT with protection diode included.

Does anyone know about some?

Thank you.

Addition:
I forgot to mention that i'm interested in an NPN BJT.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Check in Digikey for transistors, and sort on transistors, single bjt. Scroll to the right and find the selection for NPN+diode. (and check 'in-stock').

Looks like there are a few to choose from starting at 56 cents.

Why on earth do you want one?, protection diodes need to really go across the relay, NOT across the transistor - just use a separate diode across the relay.

I have a question please, not related to BJT and relay.
I found a N-channel MOSFET that has a diode across its Drain-Source channel.
If the VGS is lower than VTO, then IDS should be zero and therefore VDS becomes VCC (assuming its source's connected to VCC).
In my case, VCC = 5V which is larger than the VF of the Drain-Source diode.
How come the diode doesnt start coduncting current and therefore increasing IDS from 0A to IF of the diode?

Thanks.

Because the diode is reverse biased.

Thats the thing, the anode is connected to drain, not to source, so its forward biased.

Take a look please:
relay-jpg.26543

Attachments

• relay.jpg
    relay.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 532
That's a dual transistor, one N-channel and the other P-channel. The drain of the P-channel device (Q2) is connected to the anode of its diode.

The drain of the N-channel device (Q1) is connected to the cathode of its diode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back