Looking for help with RCA Signal Booster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sukasa

Hi, yeah. I'm in a bit of a pickle. I'm a high-school student, (so I can't afford anything really ), and my Current problem is that as part of a 'large'-show, I need to have a small video camera at one end of a large room in our school, connected to Television equipment at the other end as part of said show. My problem is, the cameras we have cannot get a signal more than about ten to fifteen feet before we lose our signal. I've got some experience in electronics, though, so I thought I'd see if I could just wire up a simple RCA Video signal booster, in order to extend the camera's transmission range to a few hundred feet alone this cable.

My problem is, I'm only a partial hobbyist, and most of my projects consist of at most one or two ICs and some supporting circuitry, and I"m not very confident about my ability to pick the correct parts and values.

My specific needs are, I need to take a Composite (Red-White-Yellow) Video feed, and boost the signal so that it will reach a few hundred feet (600 feet should be a good amount) along a cable to our equipment on the other side of the room- and I want to try and avoid a situation to where it amplifies the signal so much that it either destroys the cable, booster, or receiving equipment- we won't have any chance at all of replacing it. I'm not particularly worried about what I'll need, but I'd preferably like to keep the total cost to below $60 or so. I searched through here, but couldn't find any relevant threads, so I'm very sorry if a similar threads exists and I just couldn't find it, or if this was the wrong forum.

Have a nice day, and many thanks to anyone who can/will help

You may just have a cable problem. What type of cable are you using to send the video?

My specific needs are, I need to take a Composite (Red-White-Yellow) Video feed, and boost the signal so that it will reach a few hundred feet (600 feet should be a good amount) along a cable to our equipment on the other side of the room

... That's crazy... 600'... that's 200m...
We move video through decent Mic cable with a bit of gender bending after an "averkey" device, and that barely makes it 30m (100').

My advice would be to use a wireless AV transmitter... something like **broken link removed**from ebay... it's still under your $60 limit.
3W @ 1.2GHz, will make the distance, especially if it's in open area...

Last edited:
Hm, unfortunately I don't have any means of buying that- and yes, I do need a very long transmission distance, I've got to send the signal alone a wire from one end of a theatre room to a classroom backstage- the camera alone can't even send a signal to either of the side walls before we lose the signal :/

I've had some luck (in quiet RF environments) passing white-red-yellow AV for 100 feet-plus using CAT-5. Hook each pair as signal-ground with the last pair two grounds.

Unfortunately 600 ft of cat-5 probably would cost more than your budget.

School production I see...
I was the school's "sound donkey" at one stage (i.e. while I was still there)... To do this we used a 2.4ghz transmitter, which you have said is not feasible for your solution... So... Hmmmmm, very interesting... Buy 600' of Quad shield RG6... ahhahaha

Use Cat5 with Baluns, that should be able to get a few hundred feet. They are used to send signals kilometres.
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…