Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for possible stocks worth investing in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmtech

Banned
Most Helpful Member
I am getting into the stock market now that I have some spare cash to toss around so I figured what better place to ask about new tech companies and related stuff that might just be of interest to a small scale investor.:)

I figure with the broad spectrum of interests and knowledge here that there may be a few people in the know about small or newer companies doing interesting and useful tech stuff that just might have some profitable growing potential in the next few years.

So does anyone think that they know of some good or hopefully good companies that are doing something worth investing in or that they think might be worth at least watching for a while?

I am open to suggestions about what companies anyone may find of interest and the reasons why what they are doing could be worth investing in. :)

And you're asking here? Dear gods, I thought you had some semblance of common sense? =O You're doomed!

I would avoid manufactoring stock in the US, for... I dunno, a lifetime, but some tech stocks especially communications are hot, but randomly so. As far as having money to 'throw away' I'd aim towards modest interest rate CD's or diversified investment funds. Betting on stocks is for the young of blood and heart with plenty of capitol to backup failure.

If you're looking for safe bets it's simple, aim for the most diversified fund you can find that is foretasted to outperform inflation for the next 5 years. Otherwise tuck it away in a matress or interest bering savings acount and do your research. NEVER bet on something anyone tells you anything about, if you want to be an investor in a stock, try to be a principle in a stock looking for investors willing to takes a risk but with sound foundations, and first and foremost don't be afraid to lose your money.

Right now I am just looking for interesting things to look at. ;)

But yes ultimately I will decide what I will do with my money for my betterment or otherwise! :)

I would avoid any stock that the pundits say is "hot".
Avoiding doing what everyone else is doing.
Look for solid companies which have been unjustly punished by the markets. ie: In the 2000-2001 tech stock crash, companies such as Hewlett-Packard quickly lost value until 2002. They quickly regained value after that. Same with the banking industry. A solid bank, like the Royal Bank of Canada, lost lots of value in the 2009 crash but quickly regained it when investors stopped panicking and realized that the Canadian banks weren't in trouble.
So in essence there is no substitute for intimately knowing the companies you are investing in. Otherwise you are just gambling.

Right now I am just looking for interesting things to look at. ;)

But yes ultimately I will decide what I will do with my money for my betterment or otherwise! :)

Invest in yourself

kchriste said:
Avoiding doing what everyone else is doing.

I like that.

I've noticed people not buying out as much and curtailing there spending. The thing that has power today is anything that meets day to day survival.'The key to making money is helping other people save their money. Otherwise you need to cater to the rich or famous and they do not spend their money in the same place twice.

kv

I have been investing in myself all of my life and so far the track record has been good enough to justify not having to work for anyone else for some time now.
I am 35 and I now own 100% of everything I have and all of my living expenses are paid in advance until next summer now! For the next six months I have no more monthly payments to anyone for anything! :)

Still I am open to the idea of diversifying my income into new areas being I have some freed up income for a while. Right now I am looking for more of those lesser traveled roads to go down. :)

I am fully aware of how not following the crowd pays far better, its what I do best!
Everyone else is piling on more debt and I am paying things in advance!:D

At least for now. Next week could be back to business as usual. :(

Last edited:
Might I suggest Mikebits Inc. :)

LED companies look attractive to me. I see them only growing.

**broken link removed**

A friend of mine has a very sound investment rule: He never puts more money into the market than he can afford to lose. Anyone who wants to roll the dice on the market should use only 100% disposable funds, and should be a small fraction of their income. All my market money is in a diversified fund through the 401K account. I watched in horror as it shrank to almost nothing over the years, but now it's starting to make a comeback. I can breathe a little easier now.

Whatever you decide, pay close attention to the fundamentals, and keep an eye on price killers: things like approval agencies decisions can devastate a stock price. If you have some specialized knowledge of how these decisions come about, you can make good profits on companies that are going through the process, but it's very risky. Otherwise, think of these investments as long-term and try not to panic at every price fluctuation. The best strategy is to think of the money as encumbered for the long term.

Ps: I know you're self-employed. I don't know what your tax load is, but one option to investigate is the various IRA accounts. They might give you opportunities for significant tax advantages and chances to shelter income.

Last edited:
I will be watching the LED stuff for a while. Thanks!
I also have some local oil drilling related companies that I am watching as well now too. :)

As far as my taxes go I am happy to be in the pay in income bracket now. I dont mind being the one who is paying in being someone still has to pay for our government to work regardless of its overall efficiency level. ;)

I spent far too much of my working life being on the 'could have filed for welfare income level' with the normal jobs I have had over the years. Now I feel its my turn to give back for a while.

Or at least until we get government health care. Then I am going consider my taxes to be what covers my government health care expenses. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back