Looking for the name of a book. (nothing to do with electronics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

Ok, here is the deal. A few years back, i started reading this book (from a library), and never finished it. This semester for one of my English classes, i have to read a book, and do a bunch of questions on it, so i figured since i liked this book, i would finish the book. BUT I DON'T REMEMBER THE TITLE!

This the the plot i remember;

It was illegal to have too many children (i think families could only have 2 children, or maybe it was one or two. i don't remember.) But, this one family had too many children, so they had to hide the "extra" child away. Police would come search the houses of families for the illegals.

This kid (which was a male) had to hide away all day and night because the family couldn't afford to get caught. Then one day the boy was peeking through a window at a neighbors house, and noticed that there was another person in the attic of the neighbors. blah blah blah.... Then it turns out that the person in the attic of the neighbors was another illegal child (female same age as the boy) They start talking and the girl tells the boy that they are planning to steal a car and protest at some place (dont' remember the place, either)

Then time goes on and the girl and her other illegal friends (not the boy. he decided to stay home) actually take a car and protest at that place.

Then (i know this is kinda morbid), but the government shoots them all (because the are illegal)

[end of my remembrance]

I don't remember if it was told in the first person or third person. I think it was third, but am not totally sure.

It was (obviously) a fiction book. And it was paperback. It was a very dark colored cover (blacks and blues), and i think there was a picture of a kid with short hair on the cover.

Sorry i can't remember any more, it has been at least 5 years since i read it.

Any help to put my helpless googling to rest would be greatly appreciated!

I remember a bit more about the book. I think it took place in asia. China maybe?

People were only alowed to have 1 child. It was called the One-Child policy.

Marks256 said:
I remember a bit more about the book.
I don't think you do. In fact, I think you're making the whole thing up. Maybe it was a dream you had, instead? Still, it sounds like an interesting read. I suggest you finish it yourself, and conitinue to just make up the parts you can't "remember." You might have a bestseller!

I can think of a few books that are in that vein, and have read a lot of good ones otherwise. If you're still stumped after searching for a bit, let me know and I'll try to recommend something that'll have you hooked.

no, i don't think i am making it up... or am i?.... No. i am not.

Yes, if you have a good book to recommend that would be great. It has to be an American Author, though (so that rules out a lot of good books). I know that sucks, but it is and "American Literature" class... go figure...

I would still like to know the title of my OP, though.

theinfamousbob said:
I swear I've either heard of it or read it, but can't remember the title. It'll probably hit me soon.

If you remember, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Marks256 said:
It has to be an American Author, though (so that rules out a lot of good books). I know that sucks, but it is and "American Literature" class...
Are you kidding? I'm going to have to start some kind of top ten list for you, or something. Here are some great ones, in no particular order:

1. Farenheit 451, Ray Bradbury - Literature class getting you down? Vent your frustrations by reading this sci-fi dystopia that derives its title from the temperature at which books burn.
2. Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, Tom Wolfe - Sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll in the 1960s. Groovy, man!
3. The Right Stuff, Tom Wolfe - An inspiring and well-researched narrative of America's first astronauts and the Mercury missions (and much more readable than Norman Mailer's accounts on a similar subject, in my opinion).
4. Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger - The original, archetypical definition of the disenchanted American teenager.
5. Tropic of Capricorn, Henry Miller - The dirtiest book you might ever find on your school or public library shelf. Hey, they even made a Seinfeld episode about it!
6. Winter of Our Discontent, John Steinbeck - My favourite by this author. Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden are also awesome, but long. For a quicker read, you might consider Cannery Row or Of Mice and Men.
7. Little Women, Louisa May Alcott - The "chick-flick" of fiction, but still a great read almost 140 years since it was written. If you can read this book without crying, you're made of stone.
8. Catch-22, Jospeh Heller - WWII historical fiction about the surreal nature of army life. Although I think the jury's still out on this, I believe Heller coined the title phrase. Given that you'll probably want to make that reference sometime in the future, you might as well find out what it's all about.
9. On the Road, Jack Kerouac - Drugs, driving, and be-bop. Reading this book just might inspire you to take an adventurous road trip. Or just a trip.
10. Slaughterhouse-Five, Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. - Sadly, this great author died just last year. This book will change your life, and strangely seems to be the number one choice of most American pop-culture icons when asked to cite their favourite.

Each of those books warrants pride in American literature. The only trouble I had making this list was trying to decide who to exclude. Even then, there are plenty that didn't make the list that are of equal value and interest. Let me know what you pick - I wouldn't mind an excuse to read any of those again, and I might be able to offer some tips if you have to write a paper.

Last edited:
How about calling the library and seeing if you returned it? "A few years ago" most libraries were computerized.
John

If i don't choose one of those, i will still let you know what i will read. We don't have to write a paper, more like "answer these questions in short answer"

Marks256 said:
The boy's brother was male.

Perhaps you might like to re-read that statement, and see if it looks as daft to you as it does me?.

Congrats on finding your title though!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Perhaps you might like to re-read that statement, and see if it looks as daft to you as it does me?.

I said i was IN an english class. I didn't say i liked it!

Yes, maybe it should be "The boy's sibling was male"...

Another Kurt Vonegut short story is called "Harrison Bergeron". It's about trying to make everybody "equal". I highly recommend it.

I generally read Tom Clancy books. The best one is "Without Remorse", where you are actually introduced to how Jack Ryan started off. I hope they make a movie like for his other books like Red October, Clear and Present Danger, .... But his books throw a lot of characters at you, so you can't really take a weeks break, or you start to forget what is going on.

My favorite book ever is The Gadget, by Paul Zindel. It is a fiction story about a kid whose dad is working next to Oppenheimer on the Atomic Bombs. The kid has to go to Los Alamos to stay with the father. He sees all that is going on. Then he eventually uncovers a russian spy. Pretty good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…