Low bias buffer - Vcc to output drops too much

Status
Not open for further replies.

chico

I made a design where I wanted to make a voltage buffer with a very low voltage offset (Vcc to output).
I looked up the types of voltage buffers and then got a rail-to-rail buffer with a low voltage bias, but it still has troubles giving an output close to Vcc.
Currently I would like to power the IC with 5V and get 5V out.
The chip im using now (LMX324ASD+)gives 4.95V out, which is acceptable but I would prefer <0.1V drop.
Is there a certain type of buffer that I can use to get around this? or do I have to make a fancy active circuit?

IC URL: **broken link removed**

Why do you need to buffer it. Why not hook your load straight to Vcc.

I have an intensity control on something I made, which is controlled from 0-5V.
In my design I have a 5V reference (from a different board) which I put through a pot. I found if i didnt buffer the signal, my 5V intensity input would wander.
Now that I have a buffer I get 4.95V out which is bad, but the signal is steady across all of my working conditions which is good.

What type of circuit is sensitive to the last .05V out of 5V? Can you really see that in the intensity (of whatever you are controlling)?

What type of circuit is sensitive to the last .05V out of 5V? Can you really see that in the intensity (of whatever you are controlling)?

Its not a big deal, it drops my intensity by 1% from the maximum (5V being 100% intensity), so i can really only control 0-99%, but i cant figure out how to fix it thats the biggest issue.

Last edited:
Add a resistor from the output to the +5V to help with the pull-up. Try 2k ohm to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…