Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low Freq Tachometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

fode

I'm designing a tachometer to measure a shafts rpm, using a freq-volt converter. the rpm can vary from 0-500. all the chips i have looked at have bottom end 10kHz pickup. can anyone suggest an alternative chip or method i could use?

these are the chips i have already looked at
AD537JH
AD650JH
AD602AQ
AD654JN
ADVFC32KN
LM231N
LM2917N-8
LM331N
MM74C922N
TC9400CPD
TC9401CPD
TC9402CPD
VFC32KP
VFC320BP

thanks

Hi fode,

You could try an old mechanical speedometer.
That sounds like about the sort of rev range.

Quite easy to find, very reliable, no supply needed.

Regards, John :)

fode said:
I'm designing a tachometer to measure a shafts rpm, using a freq-volt converter. the rpm can vary from 0-500. all the chips i have looked at have bottom end 10kHz pickup. can anyone suggest an alternative chip or method i could use?

these are the chips i have already looked at
AD537JH
AD650JH
AD602AQ
AD654JN
ADVFC32KN
LM231N
LM2917N-8
LM331N
MM74C922N
TC9400CPD
TC9401CPD
TC9402CPD
VFC32KP
VFC320BP

thanks

A simple magnet/reed switch perhaps? Just like a bicycle speedometer?...

yup if you dont need accurate position measurement then just count pulses

yeah., it depends on how you want to register a shaft rotation??
your best options are optical or magnetic
using a hall effect switch (and a magnet )produces a nice clean signal to count..

Don't forget about using a gear on the shaft with a magnetic coil-type sensor to sense the teeth on the gear. That way you get numerous pulses per revolution, instead of just a couple. Although, like williB said, a hall effect setup does give a nice clean signal ... but with a little bit of signal conditioning, the coil setup will too.
Here's a link to a thread where we discussed this previously ...
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/how-to-measure-current-in-pic-pic-as-an-ammeter.10097/
Jeff

fode said:

A 555 timer in monostable mode would do the job, they are commonly used as rev counters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back