Low Frequency Vco

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMW

Hi

I am trying to make a frequency response analyser within the range of 0 to 10Khz. I am looking for a Vco which my microcontroller can interface with to create an sine wave output between 0 and 10khz [to be fed into a amplifier].

I have been looking at Vco's rather than DDFS's as I hear DDFS's are very hard to setup, however I am having problems finding any Vco's that will operate at the lower frequency's, can you advise me in any way or surest an IC?

Many Thanks
Dominic

DDFS ? Direct Digital Frequency Synthesiser?

They are not hard to set-up at all, just a few lines of code and the job is done.

Have a look at the AD9850, athough it has probably been supeceeded by now. This can give an output from 0 to about 50Mhz in 0.03 hz steps.
Have a look on the Analog Devices website for the latest DDS chips.

As for a VCO, I think it would be difficult if not impossible to go from 0 to 10 khz in one range without using a heterodyne technique, which makes a DDS look like the ideal solution, especially as you are driving it with a microprocessor.

JimB

Hi, thanks for the reply, yeah I had a look at the AD9833 a few days ago, they seem like good IC's but if there was a Vco avalible I would prefer to use that, thanks anyway .

This is one of my favorites. You will need say a 1 inch ferrite toroid for the coil at the frequency you wish to use. I cut this out of a PLL circuit I recently made. So you won't need Q3 & Q4.

Attachments

• VCO.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 477
This is one of my favorites. You will need say a 1 inch ferrite toroid for the coil at the frequency you wish to use. I cut this out of a PLL circuit I recently made. So you won't need Q3 & Q4.
Good luck at getting an LC oscillator to run at very low frequencies.

Good luck at getting an LC oscillator to run at very low frequencies.

Like I said, you need a 1 inch ferrite toroid. I built one that has a beautiful sinusoidal wave shape. It used electrolytic capacitors in the tank and feedback path.

For a VCO at those freqs it would be necessary to place more than one varactor in parallel.

You are such a pie-in-the-sky BS'er. Put your money where your mouth is! It's easy to say, "Oh, just use a ferrite toroid and some electorlytic caps and a bunch of varactors, and it will work". If you post a working design of an LC VCO that will cover the audio range, I will publicly state on this forum that "I am not smarter than a 5th grader!"
Edit: It has to put out a low-distortion sine wave.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…