Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Luxeon Rebel Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe they are not released yet, it said they were still designing them from what I read. I have been looking at these things, too. They are a great bang for you buck compared to other power LED's.

EDIT:Also, the Rebel's are in such high demand that the distributors are saying that they cannot guarantee any kind of lead time, and you have to buy a lot in one order. But maybe we can find a way to get samples? I gotta take a look at that.

Last edited:
Eh? All the Rebels are readily available from Future Electronics. A few optics at Future, too.

In fact I'm pissed because I needed like 6 of the cool whites, they only had 3 left of the 0080 and I ended up having to buy 3 of the inferior 0050's :mad:. Now I see that they actually put a 0100 that wasn't even on the product line spec sheet until recently! Neat improvement! Cost is kind of a premium though.

The higher output ones are spec'ed for the exact same electrical input. They're just more efficient. More output at no additional cost except $$$.

There really is a LOT going for the Rebel. The output now beats everything on the market in terms of lumens/watt, lumens/size, and lumens/heatsink size. The solderable, electrically neutral thermal pad is awesome (Laminas were solderable and neutral too though). The remarkable development is the tolerance of high temps here. Previously, it's a fight to meet the specified junction temps here. Many designers just derated the device to a lower power or ran the devices hotter than specified and just let the emitter degrade over time.

Last edited:
So they are readily available? I have been looking at the wrong sites then. They must have not updated their page in a while lol.

I was looking at this site: https://www.luxeonstar.com/

I assumed, based on the name, that they were connected to the manufacturer, and that their info would be up-to-date. But I guess not.

EDIT: future electronics is out too, so maybe the info from the site I had was just not complete.

Last edited:
Right here dude!
Have at it:

http://www.futurecb.com/Store/InCategoryFullTextFilteringSearch.aspx?Keywords=lxml&SearchType=Keywords&CategoryName=41301000000&ManufacturerName=LUMILEDS+LIGHTING

Remember, I'm trying to find that STAR board from a USA distributor. Unlike the original Luxeon product (which had no specific name- they just called them 3W Luxeon "emitter" or 3W Luxeon emitter on a "Star") the Rebel can be mounted by the user. So I don't even want a mounted part because I can always get the latest and greatest Rebel emitters on my own, cheap, and mount them on one of these.

Last edited:
I see now. I clicked on "read more and buy" instead of going to their actual store. The way I went took me to someone else. Thanks a bunch, I am buying some soon hehe. Too bad they just have the 50's though. I am guessing the "call for..." means they may be taking backorders?

I will do some searching and see if anyone has a star type mount for them.

I can only find the pcb's for the other stars. There are so many instances of them on the internet that it would take forever. They don't seem expensive considering they are aluminum with gold contacts, for $0.81 USD! But the shipping for up to 2kg is $41.19, unless they can ship it in the safety letter, which would be maybe $8. I would not hesitate buying them for that.

Ambient said:
I see now. I clicked on "read more and buy" instead of going to their actual store. The way I went took me to someone else. Thanks a bunch, I am buying some soon hehe. Too bad they just have the 50's though. I am guessing the "call for..." means they may be taking backorders?

I will do some searching and see if anyone has a star type mount for them.

They DO have higher power in most colors completely available. Cool white has 100's right there. Also take a look at the data sheet- that is lumens @ 350mA. They're all spec'ed to operate at 700mA continously, the 100 will make 180 lumens at 700mA.

What really kicks ass is I did some calcs and, with focused optics, making LED car headlights is completely possible- I think I got 6 per side for low beams and that was for the 0070's so it might only be 4 for the 0100's. It's worth noting though that these still require a lot power and, while more efficient than halogen are not on a totally different world of efficiency.

"Call" means backordered. I called. It was like 6 or 10 weeks or something.
Apparently though the REASON my 0070 cool whites were backordered is because they were discontinuing that power level when the line started putting out 0090's and 0100's. Some of the difference is design changes, but most appears to just be binning- they make a bunch of them and auto-sort them into different bins depending on output. Then they give it a different product number and charge different amounts for them. So if your run intended to be 0070's got tweaked and now makes 0100's then you're not gonna make 0070's on purpose again.

the higher lumen devices don't really cost "more", it just looks like that on the website ... if you divide lumens into dollars, they all cost about the same. at least it was that way last I checked.

i'm still waiting on more optics for the rebels before I start buying any.

for the metal core "star" board, here's one source - sorry it's not domestic, but I don't think you'll have much luck finding an affordable source domestically

https://www.ledsmagazine.com/press/15186

I contacted the factory a while ago regarding the RGGB star in that link - $200 + shipping gets you twenty of them, minimum order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back