Maglev project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potato Bob

Well I been thinking about a kinda complex projects and this is what ive been thinking about.

How about a maglev train about 3-6 on a 1-2 foot track

I have many ideas but I'm not sure they will work
so lets start

**broken link removed**

I was thinking about building a V-type track that I will weld together using
this circut for each coil that will be about 1/4" or more apart
as you can see the hall-effect field sensor will need some calibration on each coil to keep the thing upright

and I think the train will not be stable for more than a moment, but
I've decided to have a type of linear induction motor type thing.

the train will have and aluminum fin on each side
and the motors will have two rails in which coils will be ran through

as the coils will generate a magnetic field and the aluminum will be magnitise by the current condected by the fields will keep the train balanced and move it in a direction

somthing like that

**broken link removed**
This is all a theory so dont criticize me so much lol
Also my explanation is very crude as you can see

I will have a microcontroller which I will build to have it controll the linear induction motors which should take sometime.

so it seems stupid

Sounds like quite a project. A suggestion if I may? The aluminum fins wont be magnetic because they are mostly non-ferrous (depending on the alloy and how much iron is in the chemistry of the alloy) even with a high iron, cobalt or nickel content (which is very low considering most commercially available aluminum alloys, 6061, 5052, 2024 7075 etc), an aluminum alloy wont be as near as magnetic as a steel fin or some sort of steel alloy. Maybe you can create steel fins?

I don't think the idea is stupid. Maybe its something that you'll work on for a while. Nevertheless, just because it will take some time and learning doesn't mean that it isn't possible.

Hi,
nice idea, but not too simple to make...
Have a look here (**broken link removed**) for some inspiration.
hth
regards
joachim

maglev

also try Lenz effect...Discovery or popular science article mentioned something along this line too.

One experiment involved floating a magnet over a spinning copper disc like a LP record. The magnet would float. You could try this with your electromagnetic setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…