Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

magnetizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

spuffock

I find myself with the intriguing problem of building a device to magnetize small magnets, with the restriction of using only the junk box, namely no thousand pound thyristors or cast unobtainium insulators.
The only thing I have in plentiful supply is ignorance, and 4 capacitors of 40 uf 5kv working.
I had thought that I would need to switch the capacitor(s) into the coil, and crowbar before the coil current falls to zero. I am looking at 5 kilovolts at a kiloamp or two.
Any ideas about how to build triggered spark gaps? Would a photoflash trigger transformer be good as a trigger? Any good ideas about avoiding blowing up a PIC every shot ?
That'll do for now.

That seems awfully high-powered and deadly to just magnetize something. That could easily kill you, and cause fires, explosions, etc. I suggest you just use a car battery or something.
What do you plan on magnetizing, exactly?
Der Strom

Yes, you just need high current, not voltage to magnetize items. A large battery, such as a car battery, can provide the current. Use enough turns of small wire to limit the current to a reasonable level. You only need to power the coil momentarily so you don't have to worry about heating from the high current.

As a kid I once re-magnetized some horseshoe magnets by wrapping a number of turns of wire around the poles and momentarily connecting the wire to the car battery. Re-magnetized them nicely.

I want to magnetise some assemblies with neodymium magnets. The magnets cannot be supplied in the magnetised state, because the field of the magnets outside their assemblies could be dangerous. Also,assembling a live magnet will almost certainly cost a finger or two.
The magnetising coil will need a lot of amp turns, and if I have a lot of turns I have a lot of inductance, which means that with a low voltage it will take a long time to build up the amps I need. In this time the coil will melt. So I need a lot of volts to get the current up FAST, then dump the energy before the coil current reverses.
Unless anyone knows better?

We also used to have a de-magnetizer. It was just an iron nail wrapped with a small coil and AC current running through it. Excellent for those magnetized side-cutters which the legs stick to every time you cut them off :)

In fact it was the magnetizer as well. Just use DC instead.

Edit: This was great for magnetizing screw-drivers but I doubt it would be any good for neodymium.

Last edited:
Don't know if this will help or not, its a two part article on making a "magnet charger"

part one; **broken link removed**

part two; **broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back