Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Make a 19V PS from 12V

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilimike

Is there a cheap and simple way to make a 19 volts power supply from 12 volts?

I want to plug my laptop computer in the car for a long drive to Miami.
Its power supply is 19V 4740mA

Mike

I have a device that plugs into the aux power port in the car. (formerly known as a cigarette lighter)
It outputs 110vac 100watts that powers the laptop computer.

I guess I would use this solution as a last resort, I am not sure if 100Watts would be enough, above this, inverters are expensive.

But thanks for pointing out this option.

Mike

Last edited:
19v at 4.7 amps is just about 100 watts. You might want go a couple of watts higher to be safe. If you go a lot higher though, the current drain on the 12v input may be more than the lighter socket can handle. They used be good for 10 amps but that was back when people used cigar lighters for cigars and/or cigarettes.

The power supply's primary is rated 110-240 Volts at 1.5A, shouldn't I make the calculations based on these numbers? that would make up 165 Watts (max) at 110V.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back