Make a current source

Status
Not open for further replies.

arvinfx

Hi,

I tried to make a current source from 1V voltage source with transistor but I found out I need minimum 1.4V to do this with 2 transistor version.

Is there any other way to make a 400ma current source from 1V?

You could do it with an op amp and a pass transistor/resistor, do a google for opamp current source.

If you only have 1 volt then most opamps will not work. You will need a R-R 1V opamp. There are some.

See data sheet Fig 38.

Really the OP needs to give us far more detail about what he's trying to do, and why.

Often in these sorts of cases there's an easier solution?.

But the opamp is pretty cool

Thanks to all.

I want to measure an AH of Ni-MH battery. range of this type of battery is between 1v-1.4v , So I need this circuit to sink fixed current from battery for measurement AH.

Thanks to all.

I want to measure an AH of Ni-MH battery. range of this type of battery is between 1v-1.4v , So I need this circuit to sink fixed current from battery for measurement AH.

Like I said - if we don't get enough information, then we can't make sensible replies.

Your entire premise is incorrect, you don't power the constant current load from the battery under test, it's powered from a separate supply (such as a 9V battery), so your 'problems' don't exist.

This assumes you even want to use a constant current - I tested various batteries decades ago - using two AA in series, and a torch bulb as a load (this is a far more reasonable load for batteries than a constant current which would never happen in reality).

I'd assumed that the op had a 1v reference not a 1v supply.
Nifty op amp working from less than a volt.
I have a battery tester, its a dc motor of all things, it is stalled by a spring at one end and a pointer on the other, I spose its similar to a meter movement but low impedance.

Most test equipment needs a power source. Use a 9V battery to power the op-amp. In this case use a R-R op-amp that will work on 9V supply.

to power a constant current source, you would use a 5V-12V supply to feed the reference side of the current source (the base circuit with the diodes) and the battery would go to the collector and emitter resistor. the bottom of the emitter resistor would be common between the bias supply negative rail and the battery negative terminal.

how is an op-amp a current source? u mean the output current of the op-amp?

why not use a current mirror? Thats what they are used for, current sources

google "howland current source".... better yet, go to www.ti.com and do a search for "AN-1515 howland current source". a Howland current source is an op amp used as a current source with no external transistors, and will work well with the op amp listed above.

how is an op-amp a current source? u mean the output current of the op-amp?

why not use a current mirror? Thats what they are used for, current sources

He only has 1 to 1.4 volts to work with and a current mirror will not work down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…