Makeing or buying a plug to hook battery to breadboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenD

I'm just starting out learning electronics and bought a kit with a bread board. I getting tired of just sticking the leads from the battery clip into the bread board. Is there something like a mini plug I can purchase that I can hook the lead into and then just plug it into the bread board? Or does anyone have an idea how to make one from other parts?

Page 19 of the book "Electronics For Dummies" shows in Figure 1-2 what looks like a plug. I have tried to find one in several electronic online stores but I have had no luck. I'm not sure what to search for honestly.

I user header pins, which fit nicely in the breadboard holes. Usually don't have trouble finding a 2 wire Molex connector to fit. Regular pin headers work, but have some that are long on both sides of the spacer. I save everything, so usually can find something to fit my needs.

You could probable solder your leads to the header pins, and re-enforce them with hot glue...

I think it is dangerous to have pins on a battery because when the pins touch something metallic then the battery is shorted and might get too hot or explode.
The battery should have a recessed jack. The breadboard should have pins that plug into it.

Thanks for the responses.

I assume that the pins on the 2 pin Molex connectors are thin enough so they will fit in the holes of the breadboard. It is rather hard to tell from images on some of the web sites. I have been searching the web for these kinds of connectors but there is so much out there it is hard to decide what to get.

I always remove the battery clip when I store my projects back in the box.

if your using any of the 'compatible' breadboard systems, you can buy a module that has 5 x4mm 'banana' terminals that bolts onto your board. use 2 of these for power, you can just pull the plugs when you need to power down.

Hi Steven,

using a normal DC-power jack will ruin the breadboard, just because the solder lugs are 0.4X2.4mm.

Here is a nice method to reliably connect the power source to the PCB. The female plug (with supply voltage) fits onto a male connector mounted on the PCB. The pin spacing is 3.81mm (0.15inch) and they can handle 4A of current flow. Those connectors are made by RIACON. For more info: RIA CONNECT - smart design in components - Home

For clarity take a look at the pictures attached.

Boncuk

Attachments

• AKL369.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 147
  • AKL382.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 124
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…