Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

manualy shifted automatic transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

1uz supra

hi i have a four speed automatic transmission and want to manualy shift it by sending 12 volts to the two gear selecting solinoids
when the shifter is in drive and
when solinoid 1 is on it is in first
when solinoid 1 and 2 are on it is in second
when solinoid 2 is on it is in third
when both are off it is in overdrive/4th
and i want to use a - + button to shift gears
any help would be good i am not very good with electronics

I posted a design for this in this forum about 6 months ago. Try to search for it. The search on this site sucks, so use Goggle's advanced search, my user name MikeML, and keywords like transmission, gear, etc

Here, I found it. (read the entire thread)

Last edited:
Manually shifting your automatic is fun for about one good day of in town driving. Just ask my neighbor who set up his car that way when he was in his late teens.
It gets old fast!

I would recommend a dual control system though. That way you can go either regular or automatic.

There may also be other things to consider though. modern automatic transmissions have lock up torque converters that need to be unlocked before gear changes. Other wise you get a 'popping the clutch' effect that is very hard on the drive train components.

There is a good chance you may have to use a full Micro controller system to properly handle a true manual override of your electronic automatic transmission. Electronically controlled transmissions are not just on/off switching to change gears. There are several other functions that also have to be controlled during each up and down shift.

I have a full electronic transmission refitted into an older pickup and that required a full digital electronic control box to make it work. What I use came from PCS (Powertrain Control Solutions) Its the most practical way to get full custom control over your electronic transmission. And if you dont have electronics skills this would be the most practical way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back