MAX 232 in Nigel's tutorials

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
Hi Nigel,

I just checked your circuit for RS 232. With the MAX 232 you are using capacitors much higher than 1 uF as reccomended in the datasheet from Maxim.

Coudl you please elaborate? I've just finish soldering the five caps of 1 uF. :cry:

atferrari said:
Hi Nigel,

I just checked your circuit for RS 232. With the MAX 232 you are using capacitors much higher than 1 uF as reccomended in the datasheet from Maxim.

Coudl you please elaborate? I've just finish soldering the five caps of 1 uF. :cry:

The capacitors are not at all critical, it's only a charge pump!, I suspect 1uF is the recommended minimum value. The values I used came off another datasheet, I can't remember who's?, but either values will be fine.

Generally (to some extent) the bigger the better, and the values I used are only the same physical size as many 1uF.

Have you tried the DS275? Does the same job, but without the external capacitors. Comes in an 8 pin package too.

I know about, but...

None of those is available in the area yet.

When RS 232 become history, they will be widely available. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…