Max 232

Status
Not open for further replies.

livewire_541

Hi everybody!

I was just examining MAX232's datasheet and I wanna ask something.

The chip has R1in/R1out, R2in/R2out, T1in/T1out, T2in/T2out, so does that mean I have two transmitters and two Recievers? 'cause I wanna interface the chip with a microcontroller Using serial output data (UART) and a wireless kit, so how is that possible ?

thx

I used to remember about this chip we interfaced with this chip via rs232 controller adaptor to the serial port.

As to your question how is it possible or pin outs I 'm not an engineer.

Yes, that's why it says "+5V-Powered, Multichannel RS-232 Drivers/Receivers" at the top of the datasheet.

EDIT: Although I think I may have spoke too quick. It looks like each line is independent, and you must pair two of them together.

Last edited:
Each line is independent. It's meant for implementing one of the other lines for hardware flow control, like RTS/CTS.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, Nigel's page has a complete documentation on your project.
winpicprog.co.uk, go for it.

There are 2 independent pairs of Rx/Tx transceivers, yes.
A MAX232 is only an inverter and level shifter. A wireless modem PROBABLY takes in 5v/0v logic levels of a microcontroller, and level shifting is not used. You'd need a MAX232 to change the levels to the RS232 standard used by a PC's serial port though.

Transmitting a wireless signal is more than turning a transmitter on and off with the level. Well, technically that'll produce some limited communication, but there are so many problems with it it's not a practical solution.

I've seen some guys who managed to send 8-bit data asynchronously without those RS232 chips... Here's a bit of a headstart.

Cheers.

Attachments

• PR16_DD.pdf
    653.6 KB · Views: 333
  • PR16RX.c
    2.5 KB · Views: 251
  • PR16_RF_RX_Schematic.pdf
    17.1 KB · Views: 270
  • PR16TX.c
    2.8 KB · Views: 269
  • PR16_RF_TX_Schematic.pdf
    18.2 KB · Views: 298
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…