Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Max Voltage of Ceramic Capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter_wadley

I cant seem to find out what the max Voltage you can apply to this capacitor is:

Attachments

• 104cerm.jpg
    104cerm.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 4,172
Most ceramic capacitors can only stand from 25V to 100V but some are only rated to 16V.

In the olden days, the ceramic caps that were used in tube circuits had to withstand several hundred volts. And some high power transmitter circuits run on well over a thousand volts. Thus the typical ceramic cap was designed to withstand high voltages. Now there's not much need for such high voltages so the caps are correspondingly lower voltage since a lower voltage cap can use a thinner insulator between conducting layers, making the cap physically smaller.

Peter_wadley said:
Yes thats the same one I found... its perfect

I was always under the impression ceramic caps could withstand a number of KV, thank good i asked!!

It's usually the blue circular ones that are high voltage, they commonly go faulty in TV's - easy to spot though, they either have an obvious burnt spot on them, or a burnt split.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back