Max Voltage of Ceramic Capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter_wadley

I cant seem to find out what the max Voltage you can apply to this capacitor is:

Attachments

• 104cerm.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 4,172
There is a glare on the part, but I believe I see an E, that means 25V assuming this part follows the general marking standard

crust said:
There is a glare on the part, but I believe I see an E, that means 25V assuming this part follows the general marking standard

OK thanks!

Do you by chance have a link to the marking standards?

They are in a book I have, but a quick search yielded **broken link removed**. I didn't check it so I can't attest to its correctness.

Yes thats the same one I found... its perfect

I was always under the impression ceramic caps could withstand a number of KV, thank good i asked!!

In the olden days, the ceramic caps that were used in tube circuits had to withstand several hundred volts. And some high power transmitter circuits run on well over a thousand volts. Thus the typical ceramic cap was designed to withstand high voltages. Now there's not much need for such high voltages so the caps are correspondingly lower voltage since a lower voltage cap can use a thinner insulator between conducting layers, making the cap physically smaller.

Peter_wadley said:
Yes thats the same one I found... its perfect

I was always under the impression ceramic caps could withstand a number of KV, thank good i asked!!

It's usually the blue circular ones that are high voltage, they commonly go faulty in TV's - easy to spot though, they either have an obvious burnt spot on them, or a burnt split.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…