Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MAX3223 - Can I use it as RS232-TTL (3.3V) converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngIntoHW

Its the first time I'm gonna use this chip and wanted to ask for your experience with it.
I want it to bridge between the PC and a microcontroller based on ARM Cortex-M3 controller core (LM3S6432).

I thought of buying this **broken link removed** from ebay which has MAX3223 on it.

Thanks.

Yes, you can use it for RS232 to 3.3v. It looks like a pretty neat chip. You will have the auto-shutdown feature to contend with whilst debugging though, look out for it!

Thanks mate.

Actaully, I wanted to use this chip for debugging purposes.
How can I deal with the auto-shutdown feature while debugging?

It's not an issue, just something to think about. If the chip doesn't detect a valid RX or TX it will turn off! It will work absolutely fine, just make sure everything is powered up properly.

ttl to ttl???

Hi guys!, i have read the datasheet of the MAX3223ECAP that i'm using in my circuit.
I use the max3223 to interface a Microproccesor (UART-TTL) with a pc (rs-232 - usb converter), but now i need to make an expantion board to connect some sensors, power actuators, and a GPS receiver (wich has a UART-TTL as well).

The problem is, i didn't put some pads to connect the RX TX pins directly on my PCB, so i wonder if i can connect the GPS receiver to the micro through the max3223, that's TTL to TTL, no rs-232 feature. Can I do this? or do i need to put another MAX to make a stupid double level change:

micro -> TTL to RS232 (my MAX3223) - RS-232 to TTL (the new max3223 in the expansion board) -> GPS receiver

thanks in advance!!!:):D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back