MAX3223 - Can I use it as RS232-TTL (3.3V) converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngIntoHW

Its the first time I'm gonna use this chip and wanted to ask for your experience with it.
I want it to bridge between the PC and a microcontroller based on ARM Cortex-M3 controller core (LM3S6432).

I thought of buying this **broken link removed** from ebay which has MAX3223 on it.

Thanks.

Yes, you can use it for RS232 to 3.3v. It looks like a pretty neat chip. You will have the auto-shutdown feature to contend with whilst debugging though, look out for it!

Thanks mate.

Actaully, I wanted to use this chip for debugging purposes.
How can I deal with the auto-shutdown feature while debugging?

It's not an issue, just something to think about. If the chip doesn't detect a valid RX or TX it will turn off! It will work absolutely fine, just make sure everything is powered up properly.

ttl to ttl???

Hi guys!, i have read the datasheet of the MAX3223ECAP that i'm using in my circuit.
I use the max3223 to interface a Microproccesor (UART-TTL) with a pc (rs-232 - usb converter), but now i need to make an expantion board to connect some sensors, power actuators, and a GPS receiver (wich has a UART-TTL as well).

The problem is, i didn't put some pads to connect the RX TX pins directly on my PCB, so i wonder if i can connect the GPS receiver to the micro through the max3223, that's TTL to TTL, no rs-232 feature. Can I do this? or do i need to put another MAX to make a stupid double level change:

micro -> TTL to RS232 (my MAX3223) - RS-232 to TTL (the new max3223 in the expansion board) -> GPS receiver

thanks in advance!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…